Orthophonic Reproducer tracking issues

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tyler Baldwin
Victor Jr

Orthophonic Reproducer tracking issues

Post by Tyler Baldwin »

Hi all,
So back in July I got a 1926 Orthophonic Granada machine as my first phonograph. I figured it was a good deal due to the motor needing very little work, only issue I could see immediately was that the cabinet is scratched and the back panel is missing oddly enough. I got it and I noticed that the needle has been catching on quite small digs and scratches that I imagined should play through fine. At first I replaced the back flange, didn't help. Then I sprayed some WD-40 on the ball bearings, didn't help as far as I can tell.
So does anyone know what could cause an issue like this? From what I've heard hung grooves are not a common issue with records on phonographs, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
Thank you.
Attachments
Side view
Side view
or2.jpg
or1.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Orthophonic Reproducer tracking issues

Post by gramophone-georg »

See that little limiter screw above the needle chuck screw? Try backing it out halfway and see what that does.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It could also be the tonearm doesn't move freely enough at it's base bearing.
Inigo

Tyler Baldwin
Victor Jr

Post by Tyler Baldwin »

How could I do something about the tonearm's base? Also, I don't think I have a screwdriver small enough to get the limiter screw out, how do I get the thing out?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Tyler Baldwin wrote:How could I do something about the tonearm's base? Also, I don't think I have a screwdriver small enough to get the limiter screw out, how do I get the thing out?
Buy a small screwdriver.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Tyler Baldwin wrote:How could I do something about the tonearm's base? Also, I don't think I have a screwdriver small enough to get the limiter screw out, how do I get the thing out?
Wal-Mart used to carry a really nice, inexpensive small screwdriver set. It's in a 4x6 plastic case and says "Ultrasteel 44 piece precision screwdriver set". Less than $10 when I got mine years back on recommendation from phonogfp. I don't know if they still have it, but if they do, pick it up. I use mine almost every week.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

52089 wrote:
Wal-Mart used to carry a really nice, inexpensive small screwdriver set. It's in a 4x6 plastic case and says "Ultrasteel 44 piece precision screwdriver set". Less than $10 when I got mine years back on recommendation from phonogfp. I don't know if they still have it, but if they do, pick it up. I use mine almost every week.
I've used that set for about 10 years now, and it has never let me down. I've really torqued it on a few occasions too!

George P.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

If you have the early style arm without the overhead pivot, the arm may need lubrication and adjustment. In any event, make sure the arm moves smoothly through its entire range.

Jim

Tyler Baldwin
Victor Jr

Post by Tyler Baldwin »

phonojim wrote:If you have the early style arm without the overhead pivot, the arm may need lubrication and adjustment. In any event, make sure the arm moves smoothly through its entire range.

Jim
Yeah, I believe I have the early style arm. How would I go about lubricating it?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You may just try first the easiest; just put some light oil thru the juncture and move the tonearm back and forth to ease the oil penetrating to the bearing. If this doesn't work, then you can go thru the disassembling. But be careful! It is made of seven or eight tiny balls that will fall around at a given moment by surprise, and these are very difficult to reassemble! The hmv tonearm I know well, has an intermediate washer with holes to maintain the balls in place, ONE IN EACH HOLE. To reassemble this needs three hands. As I only have two, it takes a good while, or a surprising luck, to get them seven in their holes while supporting the washer, and assembling the closing threaded ring without moving any of them!
I don't know if the Victor tonearm uses the same arrangement, but I wouldn't risk to disassemble it unless there's no other option. Sometimes it can be an excessive pressure exerted by the threaded ring. This can be easily released by unscrewing it only a bit... Of course, you can take the entire tonearm and base bearing off the board, and examine the bearing from the hidden side, or put the oil by this side. With the tonearm in your hand, turn the base back and forth and feel if it moves softly or if it seems gummed. It might be old dry grease... in this case, add some wd40 and work it into the bearing, to clean out and dissolve old grease. Then add fresh light oil.
When disassembling the entire tonearm and base from the board, notice if there is an intermediate cylinder that goes into the tonearm and makes the seal with the horn throat. This must also be greased, and treated with care.
Inigo