Victor 14 mahogany finish question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fonograph
Victor II

Victor 14 mahogany finish question

Post by fonograph »

When I got this 14 some one had already stripped the finish. They actually did a very good job saving the tint.. but Now what? There are areas that have some streaks of tone almost like water Mark's. I tried to get a picture of that.
The door are in like condition.
Should I just put a coat of varnish on it and call it good?
Attachments
20200922_140402.jpg
20200922_140430.jpg
20200922_140456.jpg
20200922_140531.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Victor 14 mahogany finish question

Post by 52089 »

You might want to try Howard Restor-a-Finish on a small, inconspicuous area. You may find it does exactly what you are looking to do.

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

This is my first attempt at a restore. Should I lightly sand it first? Or use a grain filler?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Unfortunately, the prior refinisher worked around the decal. I have never seen an acceptable restoration when the decal is worked around and saved. The eye is always drawn to the difference in colors. Modern Gregg Cline decals make it possible to do a quality restoration. Do you know what finish, if any, is over the stain? The finish looks dead or dry in your photos so there may be no actual finish. I'd start by stripping the inside of the lid. Please don't use sandpaper. If you have question please send a PM. Good luck on your project.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

To my thinking, there's no such thing as "saving the tint". Once it's been stripped it will lose some color and also give the unwanted variations in tone that you're seeing. I would sand it, then restain it, using a dye stain. Grain filler before stain would probably be best, though I've never done it, so I can't give too much advice there.

Others advice on replacing the Victrole decal is probably wise. No "worked around" decal ever looks right.