Columbia Eagle feedscrew

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

Columbia Eagle feedscrew

Post by fmblizz »

The gear on my feedscrew shaft has a split in it which does not permit a tight enough fit to turn the mandrel.

Is this a press fit gear?? I was thinking of trying silver solder for a repair, soldering both the cracked gear and also laying some solder on the shoulder of the shaft where the gear would seat..

I'm included a picture.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Blizz
Attachments
eagle feedscrew.jpg

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Re: Columbia Eagle feedscrew

Post by phonospud »

Although silver solder makes for a really strong repair, it is overkill for this application. Regular solder will work just fine providing it’s done correctly. Just make sure everything is very clean, less solder is more if you’re careful. Don’t forget to use flux and neutralize with a solution of baking sofa in water afterward, or it will keep oxidizing and never stop. There’s not enough torque to need silver solder here. Hope this helps.
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I agree, soft solder will be strong enough for your application. I generally use 60/40 rosin core because I always have it within easy reach and rosin flux is not corrosive.

Jim

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

thanks for your reply Phonospud and Phonojim.

I cleaned up the parts and used a little Solder Paste which is silver bearing and come in a small plastic hypodermic needle.. Seemed like a good positive fix as I really did not need to use much heat to accomplish the job. I would definitely recommend it for small jobs like this.. The machine is playing sweet so I'm sold on it.

Thanks again for the input.

Blizz
Attachments
solder it.jpg
solder it.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 665 times