Another eBay genius

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Nat
Victor III

Another eBay genius

Post by Nat »

SELDOM OFFERED.....IF EVER ...CARUSOS ONLY SEXTETTE RECORDING...IN ITALIAN... .'LUCIA" .CHI MI FRIENA."WHAT REMORSE MEANS"...ACT 2...DONIZETTI....VICTOR ONE SIDED 12" INCH DISC ..96200... SPEED 82 ....I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS THE ACTAUAL MASTER RECORDING ...I THINK SO ELSE I DONT THINK IT WOULD SAY SPEED 82 ON THE LABEL THIS DISC IS IS ABOUT AS NEAR MINT AS YOU COULD GET..... .RECORDED 1-25-1917 ....AMELITO GALLI-CURCI.... SOPRANO..MINNIE EAGER....CONTRALTO ....MARCEL JOURNET ..BASS..... GUISEPPE DE LUCA .....BARITONE ....ANGELO BARDA..... TENOR ...AND OF COURSE THE GREAT CARUSO .ALL VINYL IS CLEANED AND PLAYED ONCE TO ASSESS GRADE ....A RE-CLEANING IS RECCOMENDED BEFORE PLAY ...AS WITH ALL VINYL INSURANCE IS A GOOD IDEA .

Listed under "Enricue Caruso"

What can I say?

What can anyone say?

Nat

transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

Re: Another eBay genius

Post by transformingArt »

Nat wrote:SELDOM OFFERED.....IF EVER ...CARUSOS ONLY SEXTETTE RECORDING...IN ITALIAN... .'LUCIA" .CHI MI FRIENA."WHAT REMORSE MEANS"...ACT 2...DONIZETTI....VICTOR ONE SIDED 12" INCH DISC ..96200... SPEED 82 ....I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS THE ACTAUAL MASTER RECORDING ...I THINK SO ELSE I DONT THINK IT WOULD SAY SPEED 82 ON THE LABEL THIS DISC IS IS ABOUT AS NEAR MINT AS YOU COULD GET..... .RECORDED 1-25-1917 ....AMELITO GALLI-CURCI.... SOPRANO..MINNIE EAGER....CONTRALTO ....MARCEL JOURNET ..BASS..... GUISEPPE DE LUCA .....BARITONE ....ANGELO BARDA..... TENOR ...AND OF COURSE THE GREAT CARUSO .ALL VINYL IS CLEANED AND PLAYED ONCE TO ASSESS GRADE ....A RE-CLEANING IS RECCOMENDED BEFORE PLAY ...AS WITH ALL VINYL INSURANCE IS A GOOD IDEA .

Listed under "Enricue Caruso"

What can I say?

What can anyone say?

Nat

OMG......OTL (Fall to the ground)

I have two copies of this (one is original Bat-wing label release, and the other was a RCA VIctor issue from 1940s), as well as two superb copies of 1908 version with Sembrich, et al. It was extremely expensive back then (No wonder the title says, "What Restrains Me?" - $7.00 in 1908?! :lol: ), but despite its outrageous price, it must have been sold it well, since I can find the copies everywhere. I bought my copies for almost nothing,

Things are going crazy everywhere on eBay.
Last edited by transformingArt on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I have two copies of this (one is original Bat-wing label release, and the other was a RCA VIctor issue from 1940s), as well as two superb copies of 1908 version with Sembrich, et al. It was extremely expensive back then (No wonder the title says, "What Restrains Me?" $7.00 in 1908?! :lol: ), but despite its outrageous price, it must have been sold it well, since I can find the copies everywhere. I bought my copies for almost nothing,
Yup. The Lucia sextette records, the 1911 Celeste Aida, the various Rigoletto quartet records, and Solenne in quest ora (with Antonio Scotti) and the song Dreams Of Long Ago turn up with irritating predictability/regularity among Caruso records.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

What is the opening bid, or is it another million dollar buy it now?

Jim

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The $7 price was more of a publicity stunt by Victor than an actual price. A copy was given to the purchaser of each Victrola by the salesman as a thank you gift. That's why so many are found today.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

You also find many copies on the HMV label, even though they never gave it away as a free gift with machines. I must have sold well, even though it was part of HMV's most expensive "white label" series at 18/-
I dont enjoy much music of this genre, but I think this recording is awesome. When I was 14, I had a string tied to the brake on the machine in my bedroom, and every morning for months, I'd wake up and pull the string, setting "What restrains me" into play. It was good way to force myself out of bed too, as I'd have to get up to apply the brake :lol:
I've never got sick of this recording, and still play it regularly after 30 years.

Post by Guest »

[quote="gramophoneshane"]You also find many copies on the HMV label, even though they never gave it away as a free gift with machines. I must have sold well, even though it was part of HMV's most expensive "white label" series at 18/-
I dont enjoy much music of this genre, but I think this recording is awesome. When I was 14, I had a string tied to the brake on the machine in my bedroom, and every morning for months, I'd wake up and pull the string, setting "What restrains me" into play. It was good way to force myself out of bed too, as I'd have to get up to apply the brake :lol:
I've never got sick of this recording, and still play it regularly after 30 years.[/quote]

I did the same thing! I had a piece of wire attached to the brake of my Amberola 30 and would pull it when I would wake up. I would play "Why Don't You Come Back Home Again" and lay in bed and listen to it (until I had to get up to turn it off before the stylus ran off the record).

transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

Post by transformingArt »

Wolfe wrote: Yup. The Lucia sextette records, the 1911 Celeste Aida, the various Rigoletto quartet records, and Solenne in quest ora (with Antonio Scotti) and the song Dreams Of Long Ago turn up with irritating predictability/regularity among Caruso records.

You forgot to mention, "O Sole Mio", "A Dream", "For You Alone", and of course, "Vesti la Giubba" :)

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Nat wrote:
What can anyone say?
All of those upper case letters are making me dizzy! :shock:

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

At least the starting bid is reasonable. The 3 or more needle runs on the label are a definite issue as is the fact that it is a later pressing on a Batwing label. I have a copy on a 3 line Patent label but I believe the original issue have been on a Grand Prize label.

His listing is like the text version of a used car salesman's pitch on TV except there is no mute button!

jim