Pathé diffusor question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Pathé diffusor question

Post by KCW »

Hey everyone,

Just got a Pathé diffusor - a great machine! Very unique! There is a slight half cm tear near the cone but the sound doesn’t seem to be affected. Should I just let it be? I was wondering if anyone out there could give me an approximate age of this machine. It has a sapphire stylus. Thanks everyone!

KCW

Photo attached!
Attachments
E1B48D4E-DBA1-4041-8AA8-8C3517F3E905.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Re: Pathé diffusor question

Post by KCW »

Bump - any advice welcome. Thank you!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

You could probably patch the tear with tissue paper and wheat paste. If you search for "library supplies" or "book repair", you should find something that will do the trick. :geek:

- Bill

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That's a great machine to find... wish I had one.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The Pathé diffusor dates from the mid to late 10's, and there are several versions of it, from table tops like yours to full sized cabinets, some of them quite ornate. Concerning the tear on the cone, I suggest you just close it with white glue. This is what I did on some of mine that had small tears. The cone itself is not designed to have its paper replaced, the cone is riveted therefore if you try to dismount it you will have to destroy all rivets.

Your machine has the special interest of being one of the first to track linearly the record - as far as I could tell it is the first linear tracking disc player made. Other versions of the diffusor have a rotating cone with a ball sitting in a tube, or a rod that fits in a circular hole.

The motor of these table tops is quite weak, so be aware that it will play well only the records that are in good shape. Worn records will drag down the play to a halt.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Thanks for the advice. The machine sounds really good actually! It’s beyond interesting in terms of setup. It’s also amazing how light it is, not heavy at all. Thank you all again!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

CarlosV wrote:
Your machine has the special interest of being one of the first to track linearly the record - as far as I could tell it is the first linear tracking disc player made.
I wonder if this, or the first Sonora came first?
I think Wyatt (micamonster) may have posted details of a similar sized Sonora with linear tracking many years ago, after he'd restored it.
It may have been on one of the earlier forums though?

Searching his old posts, I see there are pictures of a lidded Sonora with the tracking under the motor board, but the thread I think may have been about the machine I'm thinking of, has lost its photos.

It was a light (oak?) Machine and the tracking was set up above the motorboard.
Perhaps someone has pictures of the machine I'm talking about?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Sonora did make a disc machine that was linear tracking, with a feedscrew to drive the reproducer. This was done to try to get around Victor's patents. The groove count on "regular" disc records varies, so there was an allowance for play in the reproducer mount. Victor sued and won, but IIRC, their patents expired shortly thereafter anyway so the whole thing was kind of moot. These machines are quite rare. Wyatt's is the only one I've ever seen in person.

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

You might have a look at the following; I use these for mending pages in old books - tough and transparent.

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Transpare ... 6782&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Neschen-Filmopla ... fts&sr=1-5

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Lucius1958 wrote:You could probably patch the tear with tissue paper and wheat paste. If you search for "library supplies" or "book repair", you should find something that will do the trick. :geek:

- Bill
Rizla silver ! Strong transparent use a glue stick works a treat :D AND easily reversible !
Attachments
arizla.jpg