Columbia brown wax cylinders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MTPhono
Victor III

Re: Columbia brown wax cylinders

Post by MTPhono »

phonogfp wrote:
MTPhono wrote:Anybody know what the letter between the stars on the attached label indicate?
I believe the letter between the stars on those record slips indicates the master from which it was pantographed.

Here's a chronology of U.S. Columbia cylinder record boxes (standard-size):

https://forum.antiquephono.org/topic/25 ... hronology/

Congratulations on a nice group of records!

George P.
Thank you George. I was thinking it had something to do with categorization but your explanation makes more sense.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Phono-Phan wrote:Very nice!! Congrats. What kind of machines did you bring home?
A very minty Columbia Q and a Kiddyphone - plus he threw in the cylinders and a nice 24" brass horn. I really only wanted the Kiddyphone and cylinders. These pics show them before I have attempted any cleaning.
Attachments
2020-09-30 14.06.07.jpg
2020-09-30 14.10.48.jpg
2020-09-30 14.13.29.jpg

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Pathé Logical wrote:Your cylinder box with "Red Cross March" printed on the label is certainly not at all easy to come by! That same title was also released in disc form on Columbia 1255 (10-inch record; 1903) with a special red, white and blue label. The same title was released by Columbia several other times throughout the years using various stock labels. The New Amberola Graphic article about Columbia Personal Records (which James / Roaring20s pointed out in his response above) mentions the 1903 disc (page 9, second paragraph), but does not picture it. An example of this record label (from the internet) is pictured below. Like your box, my copy of this disc also has tape on the label.

Nice finds,
Bob
Thank you James and Bob for the info. I am going to put this cylinder/box into the "Good Find" box.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

What is the actual date of Columbia using paper labels? I did not see dates in the article. I have the Laughing Song by G.W Johnson with original record ticket in a plain paste board box, the record is a tad shorter than an Edison blank, and the diameter is in the 2.140 range, making it thin, (with the original recording intact, so not shaven and re-recorded.) I also believe that Columbia did not produce their own blanks in quantity until early 1897, in fact in court testimony they said occasionally in 1897, they would still purchase Edison blanks in a covert way. I noticed that early Columbia self made blanks are much like Edison's North American era blanks, that is single spiral and beveled left end. The early Melzer based Columbia's though are daintier,than the Edison blank, and tend to be lighter in color, and toward the core, have more air bubbles, and are a bit shorter than the Edison blank, of course they don't have the channeled rim by 1897. By about 1899, the Columbia blank was thicker, taller, and the single spiral inside was wider, they still had a single spiral core, and beveled left end, though by late 1899, early 1900, they tend to be darker than the earlier Columbia self made blanks. Columbia 5" records are different than Edison 5" records, only in a beveled left end, while Edison 5" records have an abrupt left end, both have double spiral core, and Edison's seem to be thick and heavier compared to the Columbia 5" blank. These are my observations, can someone chime in the accuracy of these? I know most are only interested in the musical content of the brown wax cylinder, and have absolutely no interest in the blanks they are recorded upon.