What's the deal with the VV-XII crank?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonojim
Victor IV

Re: What's the deal with the VV-XII crank?

Post by phonojim »

Please provide a wider view of your XII motor. In the early model, the one without the fancy trim, the motor casting should extend past the edge of the motorboard. When Victor designed the second type of XII, I know that they added the extra cabinet trim and I also believe they made other changes as well but I don't know what they might have been. Some overall pictures of your machine may be of help along with more motor pictures.

Jim

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

These are two different XII motors I have. You'll notice on the first three how the male connection to the crank is supposed to look. You'll also note in the wide shots the design flaw (this is the first version of the XII. The motor sticks out beyond the motorboard, and the frame of the case actually slips in between the motorboard and the motor. The crank connection can be damaged if one is not careful when taking out the motor. The last picture is the end result of someone not being careful. You can shear off the end. The tell tale sign this happened is that you have thread until the end of the connection. The end of that part is supposed to be smooth and rounded.

Hopefully this helps.
Attachments
20201007_092738.jpg
20201007_092732.jpg
20201007_092642.jpg
20201007_092619.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

That is very helpful, thank you so much! I’ve included a picture of my motor shaft when I removed the spring barrel. Has anybody been able to repair this kind of damage? My motor also hangs over the motor board btw.
Attachments
A91753C5-B3B1-4B8B-8F50-94BB692C01A7.jpeg