New (to me) Graphophone AF

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Re: New (to me) Graphophone AF

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

More photos. Will have more once I start doing more with it. Bedplate cleaned up decently with water and a rag.
Attachments
20201003_172920.jpg
20201003_172923.jpg
20201003_172914.jpg
20201003_172855.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Is it cheaper to get a Graphophone Grand than an Edison Concert machine? Or has prices for both have been the same?
The Graphophone Grand (type "GG" in the fancy cabinet) is much more difficult to find than the Edison Concert models and is definitely not cheaper to buy than an Edison Concert ( condition/functioning aspects being the same ) but the "AG" Graphophone surfaces occasionally and generally sells for less than the Edison Concert.

Doug
I assume a GG or Concert machine is up there with the Opera or Idealia in price since they are the predecessors to those machines?

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Here’s a GG I offered recently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154021737597

Raphael

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

One of my collecting regrets is not buying a very nice GG at a Stanton's auction years ago. It went for $4K. I had my sights set on another item however, which I got. (An Eldridge Johnson M with a New Century reproducer.)

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well for me, it will be a LONG time before I get one of those. Right now I’m saving up for my first Triumph! ;)

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Got the topworks moving freely, but the more I mess with this thing, the more I see "money pit", and that's without having even touched the cabinet.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

GrafonolaG50 wrote:Got the topworks moving freely, but the more I mess with this thing, the more I see "money pit", and that's without having even touched the cabinet.
Don't think money pit , think saviour and a great item for your Grandchildren to have on display and say Grandad saved this ! :D

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Well, right now it needs Mr.Baker's expertise on making and fitting a carriage and trunnion, needs a bedplate strip and replate (the nickel is pitted exposing the copper wash underneath), a reproducer, a cabinet trim piece made, veneer work on the lid, and various small parts (lid latch pulls and bedplate screws), and a crank. On the bright side the motor looks to be in good shape. Might start on it once I get a free weekend. Needs a thorough cleaning. I'm assuming it'll probably be 1500-2k to make this thing look factory new, and although I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic, I get paid like a frycook.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

GrafonolaG50 wrote:Well, right now it needs Mr.Baker's expertise on making and fitting a carriage and trunnion, needs a bedplate strip and replate (the nickel is pitted exposing the copper wash underneath), a reproducer, a cabinet trim piece made, veneer work on the lid, and various small parts (lid latch pulls and bedplate screws), and a crank. On the bright side the motor looks to be in good shape. Might start on it once I get a free weekend. Needs a thorough cleaning. I'm assuming it'll probably be 1500-2k to make this thing look factory new, and although I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic, I get paid like a frycook.
Like the mouse ate the elephant: A little bit at a time. ;)