New (to me) Graphophone AF

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: New (to me) Graphophone AF

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Walser may be able to make parts? Who was it on here that was making all those sapphire styli and whatnot for Edisons? He was machining pieces for some European cylinder phonographs.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I wish I knew how to machine my own parts (and had the equipment to). If I had CAD plans I might be able to get a different company on the airfield to make parts on a lunch or something though. Unfortunately i don't know how to CAD either.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Raphael wrote:
And, surprisingly I have not seen it mentioned here on the TMF, Howard Hazelcorn, Columbia guru and author of the definitive reference work "Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 1" died a few weeks ago. RIP.

Raphael
Oh, dear. :cry: :rose:

- Bill

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Is it cheaper to get a Graphophone Grand than an Edison Concert machine? Or has prices for both have been the same?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Is it cheaper to get a Graphophone Grand than an Edison Concert machine? Or has prices for both have been the same?
The Graphophone Grand (type "GG" in the fancy cabinet) is much more difficult to find than the Edison Concert models and is definitely not cheaper to buy than an Edison Concert ( condition/functioning aspects being the same ) but the "AG" Graphophone surfaces occasionally and generally sells for less than the Edison Concert.

Doug

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

Paul Baker in Buffalo, NY, has all the parts you need ready to go and in stock. I wonder why no one here has mentioned this yet. Most of the folks on this site know him very well. His restoration work and replica parts are second to none. He goes by the name here on the forum "edisonclassm". He is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his work 100%.
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Is it cheaper to get a Graphophone Grand than an Edison Concert machine? Or has prices for both have been the same?
The Graphophone Grand (type "GG" in the fancy cabinet) is much more difficult to find than the Edison Concert models and is definitely not cheaper to buy than an Edison Concert ( condition/functioning aspects being the same ) but the "AG" Graphophone surfaces occasionally and generally sells for less than the Edison Concert.
Doug

Doug is correct about the rarity of the GG, The first production run was from #1 to about 400, the first 100 units had the script style label on the feed screw cover, after 100 the block style label was used, all these had the "Graphophone" banner decal and no side handles. The last production run was from mid 2800 to mid 3800, these had the "Graphophone Grand" banner and end handles. So only about 1400 units were produced.

The AG was the most produced of the large grand machines, the AB was the most at 10000. There appears to be 3 versions of the AG produced.

Version 1 was virtually identical to the first version HG and used the same nickel plated brass bedplate, these ran from #2100 to about #3200. About 1200 units

Version 2 used an unpainted aluminum bed plate starting in mid #3800's and ending around #5000. About 1200 units.

Version 3, the most common, used the black painted aluminum bed plate. This version appears to have started around #7000 and went until the end of the original 1-10000 block assigned. There must have been a market for the AG later as additional units have shown up in the #13000 - 14000 range.

It's hard to determine how many AG models were produced as serial# range 2100 to 10000 was used for all the remaining grand models, except the AB, and to add to the confusion the AF and AD models did not have ID plates and nowhere else on the machine was a serial number marked. I did hear of an AD with an ID plate but never was able to get the information.

I can come up with a close guess as the version 3 AG was, except for a lone SG, may have been the only model that used the block from 7000 to 10000, there may have been over 4000 produced.

I'm still collecting information on the Grand machines and always welcome new data. There are still many holes in the serial numbers assigned, especially the AD, AF and SG models.

Chuck

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Machine is in hand. I'll have photos later. Its going to need some cabinet work as well, but I'm not going to complain too much.

No S/N or data plate on mine.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

phonospud wrote:Paul Baker in Buffalo, NY, has all the parts you need ready to go and in stock. I wonder why no one here has mentioned this yet. Most of the folks on this site know him very well. His restoration work and replica parts are second to none. He goes by the name here on the forum "edisonclassm". He is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his work 100%.

I talked to him. If I end up keeping the machine, its going to him for resto. At least of the topworks. Cabinet will be done at a later date.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

phonospud wrote:Paul Baker in Buffalo, NY, has all the parts you need ready to go and in stock. I wonder why no one here has mentioned this yet. Most of the folks on this site know him very well. His restoration work and replica parts are second to none. He goes by the name here on the forum "edisonclassm". He is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his work 100%.
Does he have a website selling thee parts ?