New (to me) Graphophone AF

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

New (to me) Graphophone AF

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Bought a new machine. A Columbia AF that's unfortunately incomplete. It needs the reproducer mount (trunnion?), crank, reproducer, and carriage tube. If anyone here has rebuilt one of these machines, I'd like to know what all goes into it as this is my 1st Columbia cylinder machine. I'll add good photos once I have the machine in hand as the listing photos aren't great and its covered in bird crap.
I notice Jean Paul Agnard's website lists parts that I need. Does anyone know if he's still active in selling parts?

His website says that "AG, AF, ETC" trunnions are the same. Any idea what other models fit the "etc"?
Attachments
received_384415575929684.jpeg
received_346552266579303.jpeg
20200929_131927.jpg
Last edited by GrafonolaG50 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

schweg
Victor III

Re: New (to me) Graphophone AF

Post by schweg »

No, he is unfortunately not making parts anymore.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

schweg wrote:No, he is unfortunately not making parts anymore.
Damn. I assume no one else makes parts either.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I need parts for a Columbia AO and have had no luck finding them so far. Good luck with your search!

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I'll give it a few months and worse comes to worse, part it out so other machines can live on.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

GrafonolaG50 wrote:I'll give it a few months and worse comes to worse, part it out so other machines can live on.
Please consider not parting it out, but instead selling it as-is, to give someone else a chance to complete it.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:
GrafonolaG50 wrote:I'll give it a few months and worse comes to worse, part it out so other machines can live on.
Please consider not parting it out, but instead selling it as-is, to give someone else a chance to complete it.

The parts needed are always missing , there must be dozens if not hundreds of these machines in this condition . the trunion always breaks up , I wonder why the manufactured spare parts were discontinued ? :(

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Last time I checked, we were all getting older. JP is no longer able to make parts for health reasons.

And, surprisingly I have not seen it mentioned here on the TMF, Howard Hazelcorn, Columbia guru and author of the definitive reference work "Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 1" died a few weeks ago. RIP.

Raphael

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Raphael wrote:Last time I checked, we were all getting older. JP is no longer able to make parts for health reasons..

Raphael
All too true but perhaps JP can pass his manufacturing knowledge and skill on to someone younger before it's too late , there ought to be someone who could do it ? Perhaps GrafonolaG50 or schweg could volunteer as they need the bits right now! Gratitude sent in advance !

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

This probably should be shifted to a post of it's own instead of hijacking the original posters thread...

Stunned to hear about Howard,,, but very surprised it was not passed down to the members earlier... He was the Columbia authority as Raphael stated and a wealth of knowledge. He opened up his home to many collectors to view his collection and helped educate many of us.

RIP

Blizz