Feed screw/half nut adjustment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Feed screw/half nut adjustment

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all, I have been using my Standard D with a horizontal carriage quite a bit lately and have been really enjoying it. But, my mind is always thinking about whether or not I have the half nut adjusted properly. Everything works fine, but I just wanted to set my understanding straight.

When the feed screw is adjusted properly the front guide of the carriage should rest fully on the upright bed plate carriage guide on the front of the machine with no spring tension. And there should be some play between the half nut and feed screw. The half nut should only engage the feed screw enough to move the carriage and not cause the machine to bog down when it’s engaged.

Does this sound right to you all? As I said, everything has been running fine, but I just wanted to be sure.

Also, will gear noise normally increase when the carriage is engaged?

Apologies if this sounds winded, sometimes I worry a little too much.

Thanks in advance.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Feed screw/half nut adjustment

Post by JerryVan »

VictorVV-X wrote:Hello all, I have been using my Standard D with a horizontal carriage quite a bit lately and have been really enjoying it. But, my mind is always thinking about whether or not I have the half nut adjusted properly. Everything works fine, but I just wanted to set my understanding straight.

When the feed screw is adjusted properly the front guide of the carriage should rest fully on the upright bed plate carriage guide on the front of the machine with no spring tension. And there should be some play between the half nut and feed screw. The half nut should only engage the feed screw enough to move the carriage and not cause the machine to bog down when it’s engaged.

Does this sound right to you all? As I said, everything has been running fine, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance.
I agree with everything you said, except for, "And there should be some play between the half nut and feed screw." I would remove that play so that the nut is fully engaged, but with no additional pressure from the ½ nut bar. Otherwise, you're not fully engaging the threads which will lead to premature wear of the nut.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Re: Feed screw/half nut adjustment

Post by VictorVV-X »

JerryVan wrote:
VictorVV-X wrote:Hello all, I have been using my Standard D with a horizontal carriage quite a bit lately and have been really enjoying it. But, my mind is always thinking about whether or not I have the half nut adjusted properly. Everything works fine, but I just wanted to set my understanding straight.

Thanks in advance.
I agree with everything you said, except for, "And there should be some play between the half nut and feed screw." I would remove that play so that the nut is fully engaged, but with no additional pressure from the ½ nut bar. Otherwise, you're not fully engaging the threads which will lead to premature wear of the nut.
JerryVan, thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it!