Ok, I bought the Wondertone machine. Now I need help.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Kryptosmaster1
Victor Jr

Ok, I bought the Wondertone machine. Now I need help.

Post by Kryptosmaster1 »

I bought the machine I posted about in the other thread. Now I’m trying to figure out how to put the motor back together. I THINK it’s a Heineman or possibly a Meisselbach? See pics. I can’t find a manufacturer. Not sure what the numbers on it mean. Looks like maybe a 77? Bottom says “THE MOTOR OF QUALITY “.
If I can determine the manufacturer then maybe someone has a catalog or parts explosion or assembly manual?
After that...I need to figure out about the spring containers and if they’re good and how to put together. Everything moves well in the motor assembly and I don’t see any messed up teeth or anything like that.
D5669B78-2620-4413-B2A0-6AD0216CE16F.jpeg
23E33380-16DD-4F0F-85DF-BEAFB3721D51.jpeg
D3E47FBE-4BD5-412D-B99D-500EEC4C8B79.jpeg
841392CC-ADAD-495C-9886-52AB3EB17545.jpeg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Ok, I bought the Wondertone machine. Now I need help.

Post by Lucius1958 »

That's a Heinemann motor.

- Bill

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Lucius1958 wrote:That's a Heinemann motor.

- Bill
They're pretty common, unlike Meisselbach motors, so someone can probably provide pics or send it to someone on the forum who specializes in motor repair... there are several good guys who can do it for you.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Kryptosmaster1
Victor Jr

Post by Kryptosmaster1 »

Thanks to you both. Yeah, I don’t really think I need someone to do it for me. I’m pretty mechanically apt. I just need some printed info so I know what I’m doing. I need to figure out what pieces I’m missing too.

Curt A wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:That's a Heinemann motor.

- Bill
They're pretty common, unlike Meisselbach motors, so someone can probably provide pics or send it to someone on the forum who specializes in motor repair... there are several good guys who can do it for you.

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

heineman 77 motor, tmw 1918.jpg
Heineman motor no. 77, here is an ad from Talking Machine World, 1918.

Good luck on the project!

All the best,
Ed and Nancy

Kryptosmaster1
Victor Jr

Post by Kryptosmaster1 »

That sure looks pretty darn spot on to me! Now some parts blowouts and assembly instructions would help a lot on that spring assembly.
Anyone know what the external parts look like I’m missing? Like the brake lever and speed adjustments?
phonolamplighter wrote:
heineman 77 motor, tmw 1918.jpg
Heineman motor no. 77, here is an ad from Talking Machine World, 1918.

Good luck on the project!

All the best,

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

OK, I'm just kind of following along here--you did great getting that phonograph for $30, with that gorgeous cabinet--and that is a great-looking motor and a nice advertisment too.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Kryptosmaster1 wrote:That sure looks pretty darn spot on to me! Now some parts blowouts and assembly instructions would help a lot on that spring assembly.
Anyone know what the external parts look like I’m missing? Like the brake lever and speed adjustments?
I think the ad is about as close to an assembly blowout as you are going to get and as far as I know, there are no assembly instructions. You might do a GOOGLE patent search for that specific motor and see if anything is available or shows an exploded view.

Otherwise, use the ad drawing for a reference as to the location/orientation of the spring barrels and re-assemble your motor... Check the springs for obvious breaks first, and once it is back together, see if it works. Then try to determine if the speed adjustment works correctly or if something obvious is missing... I don't know if the speed control also acts as a turntable brake or if it is just a governor brake to adjust the turntable speed. Most phonographs have a separate turntable brake mounted on the motor board, not directly attached to the motor...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Kryptosmaster1
Victor Jr

Post by Kryptosmaster1 »

Tried the patent thing but you need a number for something that old. I found something on another site but got an error when I clicked on the link to view it, looked like some sort of manual.
08A98547-1FA0-4974-A758-15F7C9530A34.png
Curt A wrote:
Kryptosmaster1 wrote:That sure looks pretty darn spot on to me! Now some parts blowouts and assembly instructions would help a lot on that spring assembly.
I think the ad is about as close to an assembly blowout as you are going to get and as far as I know, there are no assembly instructions. You might do a GOOGLE patent search for that specific motor and see if anything is available or shows an exploded view.

Otherwise, use the ad drawing for a reference as to the location/orientation of the spring barrels and re-assemble your motor... Check the springs for obvious breaks first, and once it is back together, see if it works. Then try to determine if the speed adjustment works correctly or if something obvious is missing... I don't know if the speed control also acts as a turntable brake or if it is just a governor brake to adjust the turntable speed. Most phonographs have a separate turntable brake mounted on the motor board, not directly attached to the motor...

jimlewis1126
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Post by jimlewis1126 »

Sorry, a little late chiming in... busy with my own problem project, and I'm brand new at this and zipping through the learning curve. I'm currently overhauling the same motor from my Pathé Model VII (just search for my current thread). It's definitely a Heineman No. 77 (P5001). I'm still disassembling, but I got the springs out (the scary bit for me — plus, they were stubbornly stuck in the barrels — but all went well) and have begun degreasing. I'm taking a zillion pictures as I go, and I'm happy to share notes with you as I start to reassemble.

I'm currently focused on the springs since one was broken — just a few inches from the outer end, thankfully — so I have cut it down and redrill the teardrop hole. Otherwise it's a cleaning project. But I'd really like to know where you found the instructions and parts manual online — I've searched all over and can only find ads and catalog listings. Pics below.

Cheers!
Jim
2B5FF642-4C79-42A3-92D1-B2870FAFB571.jpeg
B516DCCA-C7FA-4479-8C4A-AE4C5F0835B6.jpeg
Attachments
C6ADA43B-4894-47CE-85F4-210950976D82.jpeg