Model K Reproducer four minute mode issues

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Model K Reproducer four minute mode issues

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all,
I have been having trouble with a Model K reproducer that I recently bought. In two minute mode it sounds fine, but in four minute mode, the stylus seems to bottom out and mute the sound. I slackened the pivot screw for the four minute stylus and adjusted the hinge block which helped at first, but it still has the muting issue, even with a blue amberol. If I have to, I can take it apart, but would prefer not to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Model K Reproducer four minute mode issues

Post by Phono-Phan »

Is it possible the 4-minute stylus is damaged or missing? Wyatt Marcus does a great job rebuilding these.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Phono-Phan wrote:Is it possible the 4-minute stylus is damaged or missing? Wyatt Marcus does a great job rebuilding these.
The reproducer is completely rebuilt with two new styli. I have also tried it in a standard carriage and not the horizontal carriage with adapter and have noticed a difference. It probably just isn’t meant to be used with an adapter in a horizontal carriage.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

A Model K is only meant to be used in a slanted carriage...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Curt A wrote:A Model K is only meant to be used in a slanted carriage...
I see. Well, it serves me right. I was going back and forth between the model K and O and decided to go the cheaper route since I don’t have too many wax amberols or 2 minute wax cylinders, which was what I was going to use this for. Oh well, I can still use it in the future if I ever get another combination cylinder machine.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'm curious as to where you saw/heard this. I wouldn't think it would be any different than the C and H which work fine with a horizontal adapter.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

52089 wrote:
I'm curious as to where you saw/heard this. I wouldn't think it would be any different than the C and H which work fine with a horizontal adapter.
I will admit that I did notice that there was very little room for vertical up and down movement on my model K in four minute mode with the stylus on the record even after I made some adjustments.