Straight Horn Set Up with Horizontal Carriage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Straight Horn Set Up with Horizontal Carriage

Post by VictorVV-X »

Well, I finally bought a larger horn and crane and set it up and it sounds really good. But as usual, I am being to worry about whether or not it is set up properly. My main thought has to do with the positioning of the horn at the beginning of a cylinder, should it face straight out, or off to the side. I’m attaching some pictures of my set up and would appreciate any critiques or suggestions.
19263E9B-5E38-4801-A4B8-94D25701559A.jpeg
B23FE014-AA04-44EA-A5AA-5896A24C5764.jpeg
E1C7A3B7-C90F-4FF1-9B61-C668A6B6D1D9.jpeg
Also, should I trust the round clip that is on the horn? Do you all recommend taking the horn down when not in use, or is it okay to leave it up?

Thanks in advance.

startgroove
Victor III

Re: Straight Horn Set Up with Horizontal Carriage

Post by startgroove »

Yes, you can leave it set up for extended periods of time, and unless the loop shows signs of weakness or stretching, there is no reason not to trust it.
The picture below shows a good way to set up the relationship between the horn and the cylinder. When the horn end, attached to the reproducer, is perpendicular to the center of the cylinder, there is equal strain, or pull, on each side of center on the supporting chain. The horn support chain should be as perpendicular to the floor as possible, so there is very little strain, forward or back, on the reproducer neck. A good way to do that is to disconnect the rubber connector and let the horn hang freely. Note where the small end of the horn is in relation to the opening of the reproducer elbow. The space between should be about ¾ to 1 inch less than the length of the rubber connector. Cheers, Russie
Attachments
IMG_6403.jpg
IMG_6403.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

startgroove wrote:Yes, you can leave it set up for extended periods of time, and unless the loop shows signs of weakness or stretching, there is no reason not to trust it.
The picture below shows a good way to set up the relationship between the horn and the cylinder. When the horn end, attached to the reproducer, is perpendicular to the center of the cylinder, there is equal strain, or pull, on each side of center on the supporting chain. The horn support chain should be as perpendicular to the floor as possible, so there is very little strain, forward or back, on the reproducer neck. A good way to do that is to disconnect the rubber connector and let the horn hang freely. Note where the small end of the horn is in relation to the opening of the reproducer elbow. The space between should be about ¾ to 1 inch less than the length of the rubber connector. Cheers, Russie
Russie, thank you for the tips. I will try to adjust everything tonight. If the connecting hose is too short, should I pull if off the small end of the horn a little?

Thank you again.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Yes, you can pull it out some, or use a longer rubber connector. It looks like the crane is a two piece one, which means it is adjustable by sliding the end piece in and out. See if adjusting that will shorten the length of the crane. Cheers, Russie

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

startgroove wrote:Yes, you can pull it out some, or use a longer rubber connector. It looks like the crane is a two piece one, which means it is adjustable by sliding the end piece in and out. See if adjusting that will shorten the length of the crane. Cheers, Russie
Thank you. Right now the top piece is all the way in, or seems to be. This is a reproduction crane, so maybe it’s needs to be tweaked a little. I’ll try the connector first, though.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

You might consider hack sawing a little off the end the slips inside the thick part of the crane. More or less a last resort.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

startgroove wrote:You might consider hack sawing a little off the end the slips inside the thick part of the crane. More or less a last resort.
It may actually come to that. After following the instructions from Russie, I have found that the small end of the horn is several inches away from the elbow not merely an inch or so. I might try a longer tube first, just to see.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Good tips from Russie.

After you have it adjusted lift the carriage slightly and slide it from left to right as if was traveling across the length of a cylinder. It should travel freely from side to side. Also apply a light coat of oil on the rail above the Edison Script where the carriage rests during play. The weight of the carriage on that rail is also important. When lowered in the play position the carriage should rest on the rail with just enough force that it will sit on the carriage all the way through the length of the cylinder.