Victor II w/ nickel-plated Victor morning glory horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Victor II w/ nickel-plated Victor morning glory horn

Post by JohnM »

My friend, forum member Roaring20’s, alerted me to this Victor II that was listed on Craigslist and was literally 12 miles over the mountain from me. Lo and behold, it has a No.19 Victor morning glory horn in a bright nickel finish! The original data plate has been replaced with a plate from a VV-VI, and it has a couple of other minor issues, but should be a fine machine once restored.
This is the first time that I’ve owned a nickel Victor horn. Just curious how many of us have one in their collections?
16201B67-E27B-4741-8469-645FAEB94543.jpeg
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: Victor II w/ nickel-plated Victor morning glory horn

Post by long_island_phono »

I sold a Victor 0 a few years ago that featured a nickel horn. I spent a day or two looking it over and pondering whether the nickel was factory applied or done sometime after. Regardless of when the nickel plating happened, it sure was convincing.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

This one is convincing, too. The plating looks old. It’s not brass!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Got to remember John we've been involved with this hobby for over 50 years and so much stuff went to California back in the 60's due to the nostalgia craze back then. Many of those pieces that ended up in California were overly restored with plating, shiny paint and "honey dipped" cabinet finishes. I like to refer to those pieces as having been "Californicated". A lot of that stuff is now starting to look old and patinafied. It is possible that your horn came out of the factory nickel plated. The best way to tell is to scrutinize all of the surfaces and look for good nickel plating over (rust) pits in the base metal. A new horn would never have started out with pitted surfaces. It would have been rejected. The only original nickel plated Victor horns I've seen over the past 55 years have been from Europe and they are usually brass bell types. I own an original 32" Bell type rearmount Victor horn with decal where the brass bell was originally nickel plated from the factory. Not sure if it is European or US. The decal is US. It's the only one I've ever seen. I'm sure there are a few more out there however

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Slightly related, maybe... The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum in Detroit owns a 1912 Model T Torpedo Runabout. It is a "brass era" car with brass radiator, lamps, windshield, frame etc. However, all of those pieces are nickel plated, and have been for a very long time. While dealers may have offered this, it was also very common for plating shops of that time to advertise their ability to nickel plate your brass car. I've seen several such ads. A way to make your car stand out from all the rest.

So, unless evidence is found to the contrary, I would bet that the plating was either an option offered by a savvy dealer, or an aftermarket enhancement, done shortly after the phonograph was purchased, in response to such an ad as described above. I consider it real "plus"!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

“...so much stuff went to California back in the 60's due to the nostalgia craze back then. Many of those pieces that ended up in California were overly restored with plating, shiny paint and "honey dipped" cabinet finishes. I like to refer to those pieces as having been "Californicated"

What a ridiculous thing thing to say. Only people in CA were nostalgic in the 60’s?

Bad taste knows no geography, but maybe you’re just trying to “buffalo” us.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That machine and horn cleaned-up extremely well. Whatever is thought about that horn, it is very bright and handsome! Much nicer than a standard black horn by far. I'm glad you picked it up. I think most of us would be pleased to have that talking machine.

James.
:coffee:

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

That machine and horn cleaned-up extremely well. Whatever is thought about that horn, it is very bright and handsome! Much nicer than a standard black horn by far. I'm glad you picked it up. I think most of us would be pleased to have that talking machine.

James.
!00% agreement! Jerry B.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Jerry B. wrote:

James.
!00% agreement! Jerry B.
Looks great. Columbia among others made nickel plated horns at that time so I'm sure someone would have offered that as an option if not Victor themselves.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Hey Peter F,
The word I invented "Californicated" is a generalized term to describe excessively and overly restored machines and is not confined to the state of California.