Previous Owners Marking Machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Previous Owners Marking Machines

Post by phonogal »

Just curious how often are you finding machines that previous owners have marked with their information in some way. I purchased a Vic IV a few years ago that was marked in several places, one on the tone arm with someones SS#. Last week I bought a Columbia BI with the SS# under the platter and on the base of the horn. Was this something that was accepted by collectors as okay at one time? I know collectors sometimes put a label or something similar inside a machine but I just can't imagine why someone would inscribe on the tone arm or horn.

Victor VI

Re: Previous Owners Marking Machines

Post by 52089 »

At one time, putting your SSN on valuables was encouraged as a theft deterrent. It would also help with identifying owners if items were stoen and recovered.

A similar thing was done with cars for a while, where a registered ID number was etched into all the glass.

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

I have an Edison Triumph with the previous owners drivers license number on the mandrel. ( NC47#### ) it would be easy enough to just replace the mandrel

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

52089 wrote:At one time, putting your SSN on valuables was encouraged as a theft deterrent. ...
Yes, lots of police departments pushed that idea, but unfortunately people took it to extremes. Somehow I have trouble envisioning some sneak thief breaking into a house and ignoring the jewelry and electronics to run off with all the...disc graphophones and Victor talking machines!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have a Columbia Q with a previous (1945) owner's address in St. Louis, etched onto the bottom. When I got my Fairy Phonograph Lamp, someone had etched their drivers license number inside the copper turntable lid (it took some effort to remove it, but now it's gone).
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

drh wrote:
52089 wrote:At one time, putting your SSN on valuables was encouraged as a theft deterrent. ...
Yes, lots of police departments pushed that idea, but unfortunately people took it to extremes. Somehow I have trouble envisioning some sneak thief breaking into a house and ignoring the jewelry and electronics to run off with all the...disc graphophones and Victor talking machines!
I agree. I can't imagine people would take them but who knows. I will just leave them as is, as trying to remove them would cause further damage. I guess they are just some extra history added to the machines. :D

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

We have my wife’s grandfather’s antique GE fan with his SS# engraved on it. He supposedly did this to a number of things he thought were of value.
Attachments
image.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I remember that program , I believe , in the 1980s They were loaning out etching pens to use too. Tom

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

tomb wrote:I remember that program , I believe , in the 1980s They were loaning out etching pens to use too. Tom
Just wish they would have marked in hidden places.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

people often marked items with addresses with a uv pen invisible until a uv light was shone on it , so you need a uv light to see past provenance :D