What brand do you focus on

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BillH_NJ
Victor II

Re: What brand do you focus on

Post by BillH_NJ »

My collection is not that large, only about 30 machines, but heavily weighted toward Victors and Sonoras (which I really like). Only three Edisons, two Columbias, two Brunswicks, and one Regina. I also have one Vitaphone, but would love to find more of them since they were produced about a half mile away here in Plainfield, NJ during the company’s short life. My preferences in disc machines is also largely due to an interest in opera and classical music, so the repertoire and artists are much easier to find on disc,

Bill

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

My first acquisition was a Victrola XVII. My second was an Edison Fireside Model A with original horn. Since then, I have mainly stuck with those two brands.

I don’t have a phonograph room, per se, but I do have a few little displays, high up on top of a piece of furniture or shelf. Most of my phonographs are placed in various rooms in our house, in locations where they might have originally been found. The house was built in 1900. We have tried to incorporate them into the decor of the room rather than look like a museum display. I also like being able to walk up, pull out a record and play it.

Here are some of the photos I posted in a former thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3543&p=265760#p265760

My main working machines are:

Edison Opera (oak); Edison Triumph A; Edison Triumph E (Oak Horn).

Victrola XVII and XVI; Victor V w. oak horn and Victor IV with small mahogany horn; Victor II.

Columbia AO

Phonosteve
Victor Jr

Post by Phonosteve »

I am an Edison phonograph collector. I would collect more if I had more room in my home to do them justice

This hobby is a journey of learning and obsession.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I mostly go after victor/victrola machines because I am more comfortable working on those than any other brand. For everything else I collect I just buy what is cool 8-) I guess I should try to expand phonograph know how.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Great topic... sorry to be chiming in so late. When I first got started, I would buy anything that caught my eye. This is when I was a teenager. Now, in my thirties, I have transitioned more into a role as Historian AND Collector. Because of this, I have decided to pretty much only buy Granby brand phonographs that tie in with my research. However, I was a collector first and really enjoy the HUNT! And, I can't say "no" to any quality (or unique) machine at a great price.

Tentatively, I plan to do a mock Granby showroom or mock factory set up eventually - maybe in a renovated historic building... or at a historical society. We'll see.

Happy collecting everyone!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph