Questions About An Early Victor VV-IV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Questions About An Early Victor VV-IV

Post by Curt A »

I took a picture of my steel grilled VV-IV and it is exactly as Shawn's. The steel grill slides in from the top, into two slots milled into the side walls by the door, it is then held in place by a slotted top rail and the bottom is not secured in a slot... Your picture shows the inside of the door frame and there are no slots for the grill. You can't see the slots on Shawn's machine or mine because the grill is inserted in them.

One difference I noticed in mine (from Shawn's) is that his grill is nickel plated and mine is brass plated, along with the tonearm and reproducer. It is definitely original and I wondered if this was an option...
Attachments
My Early VV-IV.png
Your pic.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Steve, even though your cabinet does not have the slots for the steel grill, it does have some puzzling things about it... It has butt plate door hinges, like both Shawn's and mine, which was a difference on early cabinets and later ones that have mitered doors with hidden hinges... Your cabinet is somewhat of an anomaly...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote:
Phonolair wrote:If you look at Shawn's picture below you will see a slot cut in the inside walls of the case to allow the metal grill to slide into.
The board going across the top of the metal grill also has a slot cut into it so it fits over the metal grill. These slots are what holds the metal grill in place. The bottom of the metal grill is not supported.

Since the Victrola IV case in question here does not have the slots cut on the inside walls, then originally it could not have had a metal grill. Originally it would have had the wood slat grill.

Larry Crandell

PXL_20201013_013300716.jpg
I'm sorry Larry but I don't see any slots cut into the sidewalls of the cabinet. What I do see looking at Shawn's photos is a cabinet constructed the same as mine. I would also point out that Shawn in his first post stated the bottom of the grille pushed in easily. That would seem to make what you suggest implausible.

Steve
You will need to look closely but the slots are definitely there, the grill slides into them from the top. It is the same on my metal grill Victrola IV.
This metal grill is very thin metal and indeed is flexible and pushes in at the bottom because there is no support at the bottom.

Larry Crandell

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Many thanks to both Curt and Larry. Very much appreciated!! At this point I really need to get a look at a Type A. Someone out there must have one they can share photos of!! As for the door hinges, I believe both the Type M and Type A used those hinges, and possibly the Type B as well.

Steve

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Phonolair wrote:
ChesterCheetah18 wrote:
Phonolair wrote:If you look at Shawn's picture below you will see a slot cut in the inside walls of the case to allow the metal grill to slide into.
The board going across the top of the metal grill also has a slot cut into it so it fits over the metal grill. These slots are what holds the metal grill in place. The bottom of the metal grill is not supported.

Since the Victrola IV case in question here does not have the slots cut on the inside walls, then originally it could not have had a metal grill. Originally it would have had the wood slat grill.

Larry Crandell

I'm sorry Larry but I don't see any slots cut into the sidewalls of the cabinet. What I do see looking at Shawn's photos is a cabinet constructed the same as mine. I would also point out that Shawn in his first post stated the bottom of the grille pushed in easily. That would seem to make what you suggest implausible.

Steve
You will need to look closely but the slots are definitely there, the grill slides into them from the top. It is the same on my metal grill Victrola IV.
This metal grill is very thin metal and indeed is flexible and pushes in at the bottom because there is no support at the bottom.

Larry Crandell
You can see the channels on Larry's here...
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.07.37 PM.png
James.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

That's spot-on James. I completely missed it!! Thank you!!

Steve

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I have a later model that is slat less. It is s/n375218. When I got it I thought I had an early model but no luck. Uses an expedition reproducer. It is a different place so no pictures. They made a lot of these machines.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote: At this point I really need to get a look at a Type A. Someone out there must have one they can share photos of!! As for the door hinges, I believe both the Type M and Type A used those hinges, and possibly the Type B as well.

Steve
Steve, I pulled this Victrola IV #53435 A, from deep within the phonolair. So please excuse the condition and dirt. The pictures should give a good idea of what your grill would have looked like and how it was constructed.

Larry Crandell
P1170791.JPG
P1170792.JPG
P1170793.JPG
P1170794.JPG
P1170795.JPG

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Dirt be damned!! Larry, you are "Da Man". Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I think that seals it. Thanks also to everyone else who posted their thoughts.

Steve