Questions About An Early Victor VV-IV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Re: Questions About An Early Victor VV-IV

Post by Shawn »

Steve,

The same measurement that you took on yours is exactly ½ inch on mine.

Hope that helps.

Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

You've been tremendously helpful Shawn. Again, thank you. BTW mine does have a 5/16" female crank.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

According to the Victor-Victrola website your machine dates from early 1912 and would not have had the stamped steel grille. Hope this helps.
Victrola Information.JPG
(attachment courtesy of the Victor-Victrola website)

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

gramophone78 wrote:According to the Victor-Victrola website your machine dates from early 1912 and would not have had the stamped steel grille. Hope this helps.
Victrola Information.JPG
That's the problem. According to the data, it should have the slats. It's also supported by "The Victor Data Book" as well, however it seems possible that it originally had the metal grille. At this point, I'm hoping to get a look at an original Type A. Thank you for posting it.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:According to the Victor-Victrola website your machine dates from early 1912 and would not have had the stamped steel grille. Hope this helps.
Victrola Information.JPG
That's the problem. According to the data, it should have the slats. It's also supported by "The Victor Data Book" as well, however it seems possible that it originally had the metal grille. At this point, I'm hoping to get a look at an original Type A. Thank you for posting it.
Isn't that what Shawn so carefully photographed and posted for you already?

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

JerryVan wrote:
ChesterCheetah18 wrote:
Victrola Information.JPG
Isn't that what Shawn so carefully photographed and posted for you already?
I think ChesterCheetah18 (Steve) was just restating the conundrum of the written records versus the reality that is his Victrola. It's common for a factory to use up old stock and this seems to be such an example. Just continue with your restoration and don't be confused by it. It's a factory oddball machine.

James.
:coffee:

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Based on Shawn's detail description and pics....there is no doubt in my mind your machine is not a steel grille version. The big give away is the way your horn is constructed.
As Shawn wrote, the bottom of the steel grille version has no back support (or anything) to stop it from being pushed in. Your case clearly shows the bottom horn panel right up front and would therefore stop the steel grille from such movement.

Keep in mind, the data complied took many, many years of research. Since your serial number (21,9XX) is almost 9000 units over the 12,000 discontinuation number.....that is quite a gap for an anomaly even if the 12,000 was a guesstimate....in my opinion

Just my two cents.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Victrola Information.JPG
I guess my eyesight is shot... I read that same chart and apparently added an additional digit to the serial number to get a 1916 date... :roll:
I'm going to check the serial number and details on my metal grill VV-IV...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

If you look at Shawn's picture below you will see a slot cut in the inside walls of the case to allow the metal grill to slide into.
The board going across the top of the metal grill also has a slot cut into it so it fits over the metal grill. These slots are what holds the metal grill in place. The bottom of the metal grill is not supported.

Since the Victrola IV case in question here does not have the slots cut on the inside walls, then originally it could not have had a metal grill. Originally it would have had the wood slat grill.

Larry Crandell

PXL_20201013_013300716.jpg
PXL_20201013_013300716.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 860 times

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Phonolair wrote:If you look at Shawn's picture below you will see a slot cut in the inside walls of the case to allow the metal grill to slide into.
The board going across the top of the metal grill also has a slot cut into it so it fits over the metal grill. These slots are what holds the metal grill in place. The bottom of the metal grill is not supported.

Since the Victrola IV case in question here does not have the slots cut on the inside walls, then originally it could not have had a metal grill. Originally it would have had the wood slat grill.

Larry Crandell

PXL_20201013_013300716.jpg
I'm sorry Larry but I don't see any slots cut into the sidewalls of the cabinet. What I do see looking at Shawn's photos is a cabinet constructed the same as mine. I would also point out that Shawn in his first post stated the bottom of the grille pushed in easily. That would seem to make what you suggest implausible.

Steve