Difference between Edison Standard and Home

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Difference between Edison Standard and Home

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned the home has a bigger spring, which I'm guessing probably is capable of playing twice as many cylinders from a full wind than a Standard.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Thanks for bringing that up. According to Frow, the Standard B and later spring measured 11' long by x 1" wide x .032 thick, while the Home B and later spring was 13.5' long x 1 5/16" wide by .030 thick.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
phonojim wrote:I have seen it happen on Standards too. Amberola Vs and Operas can also have this problem with governor drive gears.

Jim
I’ve never seen this happen before, now I’m nervous. :shock:
I would not worry about it, this a rare problem in the Standard motor compared to relatively common problem in the Home motor. The Standard motor uses steel pinions where the Home uses a mix of brass and steel pinons.

The comment about noisy gearing on Standards is in reference to the top works gearing from the mandrel to the feedscrew. On a 2-minute only Standard, the feedscrew is driven ¼ the speed of the mandrel thru gears that can be noisey. The advantage is a more rugged feedscrew with relatively course threads. The feedscrew is also at the back and on most machines except early model A Standards have a guard shield over the feedscrew to further protect it.

The 2-mintue Home machines have no gearing up top, the feedscrew is part of the mandrel shaft. Unfortunately, this puts it up front and in the open where it is vulnerable to damage. The threads are also much finer than the Standard's feedscrew, with 100 per inch. Adjustment of the feed nut and feedscrew is also much more critical on the Home than the Standard. In a lot of ways, the Standard top works is a superior design.