Anyone in the market for a VV-XVI Vernis-Martin finish?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Anyone in the market for a VV-XVI Vernis-Martin finish?

Post by Valecnik »

brianu wrote:getting back to the original subject of this thread, the vernis martin XVI on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

it doesn't seem to have sold for 8000, at least not through ebay. was anyone following this or looking into buying it?

weren't these selling for twice that amount, at least, within the past few years? I had imagined that the rare ones were still holding their value a bit better. some apparently do, at least if bidding can be assumed to be legitimate... this relatively scarce VV-X tabletop model in oak on ebay seems to be doing well enough so far...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

meanwhile, anything that's priced cheap to dirt cheap is selling right and left. and I understand that. but in the long run, doesn't it make more sense from a collecting perspective to save up for say, one rare and special machine purchased every year or so (especially something like that vernis martin, that seems pretty underpriced in this case), rather than constantly drop relatively small amounts of money to fill a room with common machines and restoration projects?
Brianu,

I'm guessing there are some varying opinions on your last question but the route I've followed for some years now is to save up for say, one rare and special machine purchased every year or so as you suggest. As a result, some of the pricier stuff I've acquired in the most recent years has probably lost value. At the same time, you could purchase a so so Edison Standard 15 years ago for $250. Today you can purchase one for about the same price.

So.... in a nutshell, I'd prefer to buy something which I can barely afford every once in ahwile recogniziing that if I need to sell it in just one or two years i might loose some money. I have something I can really enjoy in the meantime...