Advice on a Edison Standard with Cygnet horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

Advice on a Edison Standard with Cygnet horn

Post by USlakeside »

I was offered a Edison Standard B that has been converted to play 4 min. It comes all original with a cygnet horn, but the horn is repainted. The reproducer is a model H. It would need some cleaning up, but it is otherwise a fine, average, example. The crane is original too. They want $900. Is this too steep? Again, I am looking out of a starter machine for a friend and this seems like a possibility.

Andersun
Victor III

Re: Advice on a Edison Standard with Cygnet horn

Post by Andersun »

Not worth 900 in my estimation. You can take your $900 and find some excellent original machines on Ebay, especially in the current state of the economy. What you describe is about a 600 to 700 dollar machine if the horn has no dents and was painted professionally. Here is my reasoning......

Repainted #10 cygnet horn is about $200 to $250
Original crane $180 to $200
Edison Standard B (no horn or crane) $150 to $350

Boyle6
Victor O
Personal Text: VV-XIV (2), VE-111, VV-IX, Columbia 50, VV-IV

Post by Boyle6 »

I agree with Andersun on this one. From what you described, $900 seems over priced. It would probably worth that price if the horn was untouched and the rest of the machine in exceptional condition. It also sounds like it would probably need to be serviced since you mention that it needs some cleaning up. You may have to add another $150 to the price if the motor needs to be serviced and the reproducer rebuilt. It is also very important for a starter machine to have these services done to them. People who have never owned one of these wonderful old machines really do not know how good they can play and sound. They are generally amazed at them when everything is working correctly. My thought is that $600 sounds about the right price from what you have described.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks for the feedback. I let it pass. I did however find one for $600 in Oregon. I am not going to deal with it because of shipping costs, but if some collector wants in locally, send me a PM and I will give you the guys number, see more of a description in the Yankee section. Its funny, its almost identical to the one I found for $900...