Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Re: Picked up an L-Door XVI!

Post by antique1973 »

JohnM wrote:
antique1973 wrote:
Swing Band Heaven wrote:Is that missing vaneer at the bottom of the cabinet? Will it be easy to cover up successfully? Looks like a nice machine.

Thank-you. Yes, its missing veneer unfortunately. Due to my lack of skill with veneer I usually just glue down the loose parts then stain the light colored bare part to match as best as I can. Its a temporary fix that looks ok at a distance, but of course
is still noticeable with closer observation.
Veneer repair is actually quite easy and fun! I'll PM you in a day or two and tell you how to do it .

That would be awesome John, thanks!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Hey John, could you post your veneer repair advice on the forum for all of us to see? I have an oak VV-50 that needs work and I really don't know where to start.

Jim

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Did some cleaning up and a quick Howards's RAF. I am not going full bore with
this one right now since I may be acquiring a better cabinet shortly. :)
Attachments
P9120004.JPG
P9120005.JPG
P9120002.JPG
P9120006.JPG

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

John,
is there any chance you could post the advice on vaneer replacement on the board. I have some issues with one of my cabinets and have no idea where to start. Any pointers would be very welcome.

Antique1973 - the "stereo" victrolas in the picture above are great!. I'd never get away with that in my home as "she who must be obeyed" would consider it clutter :(

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:John,
is there any chance you could post the advice on vaneer replacement on the board. I have some issues with one of my cabinets and have no idea where to start. Any pointers would be very welcome.

Antique1973 - the "stereo" victrolas in the picture above are great!. I'd never get away with that in my home as "she who must be obeyed" would consider it clutter :(

I know what you mean, I generally spread my machines all over the house to
keep it from looking too "cluttered". Ironically, I was going to leave the
L-door in the garage for a while but my wife asked me to move it inside
after I cleaned it up. :lol: She likes the XVI's the most because of the
fancy cabinets. Now on the other hand, our Nipper dog collection is a bit
out of control now! :D

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

It looks nice Brad.

I have an L-door that one of the rear legs is broken (Must be a cabinet design feature ;) ). I found that stacking small squares of ¾" plywood gets you to the right height. I started with one screwed into the bottom of the cabinet, then stacked and screwed sucessive layers until it reach the height. This exists underneath the cabinet and is not visible as the blocks you have. The broken leg just kind of disappears in the shadows.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Brad wrote:It looks nice Brad.

I have an L-door that one of the rear legs is broken (Must be a cabinet design feature ;) ). I found that stacking small squares of ¾" plywood gets you to the right height. I started with one screwed into the bottom of the cabinet, then stacked and screwed sucessive layers until it reach the height. This exists underneath the cabinet and is not visible as the blocks you have. The broken leg just kind of disappears in the shadows.

That sounds like a good strategy Brad. I got the neon blocks from the seller by the way, I know they don't exactly blend in to the background! :shock: :lol: