Correct grille cloth for Brunswick upright?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tinkerbell
Victor III

Correct grille cloth for Brunswick upright?

Post by Tinkerbell »

I am nearing completion for the conservation work I am doing on my $50.00 no-model-number, early Brunswick upright. Although I have grown quite fond during the conservation process of the old calico fabric some previous owner used, I would like to replace it with something more historically accurate.

Does anyone happen to know both what would have been used, and just as importantly, a resource for purchasing it?

I'm posting a "before" (as found) picture of my Bruns so you will know to which machine I refer...

Thank you! :rose:

PS ~ I'll post after pics once I have it completely finished. :mrgreen:
Attachments
bruns2.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Correct grille cloth for Brunswick upright?

Post by estott »

I think the proper cloth would be a neutral tone, maybe a pale green or a beige. The fabric should be thin and plain, like a stiffened gauze or a thin silk. If the horn is clean and attractive you could go with no cloth at all.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Thank you. :mrgreen: I had considered the no-cloth route, but with the rectangular horn (versus the later oval ones), I thought the lines might be less attractive with the grille. I suppose I can just try it out a few days without a cloth and see if I like it.

I believe I have seen grille cloth available for sale on Ebay (in both beige and green), though I know nothing of its durability or quality.

Thank you again. :rose:

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Here's a later Brunswick with the cloth intact- it's a plain purplish red, maybe it was closer to burgundy when new:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-Brunswick-Radio ... 43a1ac8272

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Here's a few photo's of my Brunswick cloth, but again, it's a later model. The second photo is a pretty accurate representation of the actual "real life" colour.
Attachments
brunny cloth 006.JPG
brunny cloth 010.JPG
brunny cloth 003.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Somebody on eBAY is offering some very thin silky cloth in golden brown and also olive green. It's advertised as grill cloth for Edisons. The texture and thickness is about right. Perhaps you could buy a piece of that and dye it dark dark burgundy/brown, a color that I've seen on some of the brunswicks. If I find the link I'll send to you.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I agree with the dull gold toned material. It will set off the dark wood nicely. I have a nice piece of a thin silk scarf in a warm gold tone in mine and it looks really nice. Personally I would prefer the material in place. I always think the music sounds more interesting in some way coming from a machine with a cloth in place than without. It just returns it to the state which owners in the day would have heard and observed it. I know a few internal horn machines did not use a grill cloth, but to me its part of the charm, its an offsetting effect to the wood which softens the overall effect to me.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Wow! I go away camping for three days and there is a ton of activity on the board! That's a very good thing...

Anyway, thank you for all who posted with recommendations and pictures; it's very helpful! :rose:

Now I have to go back and catch up on all of the new posts... :shock:

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Not sure if this helps, but I found this Grill Cloth website that might have something close.