VE-9-55 "restoration"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: VE-9-55 "restoration"

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

These are superb machines and as others have said the cabinet (through very large and extremely heavy) are a work of art in themselves. I am very glad you managed to salvage the machines and do an excellent "restoration" job on it. You never know at some point you may come across the right parts (over the past few years I have seen various parts turn up on ebay - cabinet doors, motor boards etc) you just never know!

My 9-55 is just about to be brought back to life (this Friday in fact) as all the electrical restoration is complete and all that remains is to put it back into its cabinet. My electrical restorer is coming to help me. The only down side is that next Monday it is being crated up and shipped to my new home in New Zealand and it will take 8 to 10 weeks before it arrives. I am debating taking all the tubes out and putting them in a separate box rather than leave them in situ in the machine. My reasoning is that the machine is so heavy it may get bumped around as its lifted and put down. A smaller lighter box with the delicate parts is easier to move around carefully. Any thoughts anyone on this?
S-B-H 8-)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think your version looks better than the original, which has a fussy look.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I am debating taking all the tubes out and putting them in a separate box rather than leave them in situ in the machine. My reasoning is that the machine is so heavy it may get bumped around as its lifted and put down. A smaller lighter box with the delicate parts is easier to move around carefully. Any thoughts anyone on this?

Take the 99s out. They will not survive mounted like that. The others might make it but if they are globe types I'd take them out pack them in a box and put the box securely back in the cabinet. Definately take off the pick-up too!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Definitely take out all the tubes and remove the pick up and tone arm, also the turntable and anything loose. Secure the rest of the changer so it can't move.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Yes,
this was my thought too. I just wanted to check I wasn't being totally paranoid! Thanks for the comments.

S-B-H 8-)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:Yes,
this was my thought too. I just wanted to check I wasn't being totally paranoid! Thanks for the comments.

S-B-H 8-)
I don't know alot about these machines, (well okay nothing about them) but you may want to consider packing the chassis, changer etcetera in separate boxes and assemble it when it gets to a new home. If you label all the connect points you should be able to get it back together properly.

I shipped a bunch of phonos to Europe some time back. I removed the motors in every one bigger than an Edison home, including all the uprights.

Just a thought...

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Yes, I intend to remove the pick up and turntable and carfully wrap them and place them in the back of the cabinet. Take the tubes out and carfully wrap them too - my only quandry is whether I place the tube package in the cabinet or keep them separate. I am still pondering that one. The radio chassis on the 9-55 is free floating so I will need to make sure that I insert the transport screws to secure it before it is moved.

The changer I will leave in the cabinet I think and as recommended above I will secure all the parts. I have a large roll of bubble wrap and will be using a good part of it on this machine.

My other main worry about the shipping is all my 78's....I have study plastic boxes and am going to pad the inside with cardboard and bubble wrap and place them in there ready for transport. Their fate will be in the hands of the shipping company :(

Sorry I have dragged this thread off topic and want to reiterate again the great work done on your machine...if you didn't know the radio part wasn't original to the machine you'd never guess - well done on an excellent job there.

S-B-H 8-)

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Uncle Vanya wrote:It appears that Victor installed the (really excellent) "Micro-Synchronous" RE-45 chassis in a number of left-over 1927-8 models which were offered through Davega in NY and at least one jobber in Chicago. The RE-154 and RE-156, manual combinations installed in left-over cabinets of the 9-54 and 9-56, were made in some numbers, and are well documented. Photographs have turned up, however of a 10-50 (or 10-51) so fitted on display in a shop, and there has been more than a little speculation that am extant 10-70 with the Micro-Synchronous chassis was a factory job.
There's a picture of one of these in the Baumbach Victor Data Book so there is a nice precedent.
Once that chassis and speaker are restored you will be amazed at the sound you are hearing. The radio with an short outdoor aerial works wonderfully. You'll be listening to stations 500 miles away like locals.

Jim

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:Yes, I intend to remove the pick up and turntable and carfully wrap them and place them in the back of the cabinet. Take the tubes out and carfully wrap them too - my only quandry is whether I place the tube package in the cabinet or keep them separate. I am still pondering that one. The radio chassis on the 9-55 is free floating so I will need to make sure that I insert the transport screws to secure it before it is moved.

The changer I will leave in the cabinet I think and as recommended above I will secure all the parts. I have a large roll of bubble wrap and will be using a good part of it on this machine.

My other main worry about the shipping is all my 78's....I have study plastic boxes and am going to pad the inside with cardboard and bubble wrap and place them in there ready for transport. Their fate will be in the hands of the shipping company :(

Sorry I have dragged this thread off topic and want to reiterate again the great work done on your machine...if you didn't know the radio part wasn't original to the machine you'd never guess - well done on an excellent job there.

S-B-H 8-)
Apologies for continuing off topic a bit but may I offer the following:

- If the tubes are valuable, difficult to replace, expensive, carry them on the airplane with you. I took the most expensive small parts, mostly reproducers in my case in my carry-on luggage.

- Thin sheets of Styrofoam between lids, doors, etcetera do wonders to assure wood pieces do not rub together, damaging the finish. When I made my big move the only issues there were where customs officials somewhere had removed my packing material in transit.

- On the 78s bundle them together, and pack them tight tight tight. I put them in ~ 50 pound bundles, with individual paper jacktets for each one of course, wrapped each bundle with bubble wrap, then double boxed them and packed them super tight. Put them into the smallest box they will fit, then a slightly larger box.

You should not have any problem unless the ship strikes an iceberg.

:)

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Excellent advice, Bruce!

Sean