Is this a fake Victrola?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Is this a fake Victrola?

Post by recordo »

This turned up in a local antiques store - (Australia). I think it must be a fake - it's badged "Victor", yet aren't all internal horn Victor machines "Victrolas"? We don't see many real Victrolas here (we got the HMV versions). The dealer's tag above the transfer is "W.H.Paling". Palings had their own brand of piano, called Victor. They were quite horrible (I have one in my garage).

It has a Number 4 style soundbox (labelled "Victor Electric"...)

Nothing similar to it appears in "Look for the Dog".

Any ideas? Regards from Sydney, Glenn.

[hr][/hr]

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Re: Is this a fake Victrola?

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It's a Victor Talking Machine, BUT was made here in Australia by/for Palings music store chain.
It was also known as the "Console" model, and cost 45 pound when introduced in late 1928, and it was the second most expensive "Victor" model offered.
The motor, tonearm & soundbox were supplied by Paillard of Switzerland, & IMO, the soundbox actually sounds a little better than the No.4, due to the diaphragm being ⅛" bigger.
Unfortunately, the legs have been cut off the machine shown, along with the stretchers. It's a shame because I think they're not a bad machine.
I have the Model 3 "Home" upright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfw72fllYP4
Attachments
Victor Console.jpg
Victor Console.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It is a Victor in name only, but had no affiliation with the US company.
Palings had been making pianos under the Victor brand name for quite a few years when they introduced their Victor gramophones in late 28.
These floor models have a wooden horn in the saxophone shape. Table & portable models were also available.

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

thanks for the replies - especially for posting the ad, Shane. It was a very neat looking machine. I like your Youtube video. If I had the space, I'd probably get it (sans stretcher), but there's just so much room in a house, isn't there!