Historical home recordings

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Historical home recordings

Post by KCW »

Does anyone out there have any historical home recordings? Did many of these survive? We all know that Edison machines had recorders and shavers, but how many of these home recordings survived and what did people record? It would be interesting if there were an archive of such recordings and it would be great to hear what every day people were interested in recording long ago. Thoughts?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Historical home recordings

Post by gramophone78 »

You may want to check out our "music" section. There are some threads there.
Hope this helps.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

KCW wrote:an archive of such recordings
There's quite a few home recorded cylinders on the UCSB site.

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/searc ... recordings.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

KCW wrote:Does anyone out there have any historical home recordings? Did many of these survive? We all know that Edison machines had recorders and shavers, but how many of these home recordings survived and what did people record? It would be interesting if there were an archive of such recordings and it would be great to hear what every day people were interested in recording long ago. Thoughts?
I know that most of the discussions are in the Music threads, but I do have a couple of newer recordings with meaningful family connections. My grandfather made a Capitol Pro-Disc recording of The Lost Chord and April Showers (an unusual pairing), dated 10-15-1947. While music wasn’t his full-time career, he was a trained singer and a professional baritone soloist at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church in New York City. I also have a RecorDisc that my mother-in-law made when she was taking vocal lessons as a young woman, probably around the same time. They are wonderful mementos for the family.

Bill

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Found a home recording for sale! Paid 35$. Song is called Red Wing. I guess we will never know who recorded it, but the song was written in 1907. Bad quality, but an amazing snapshot in history. So cool! Video attached on my standard!
Attachments
trim.5DEA6F14-8B25-4B93-A17E-17EDA788500E.MOV
(41.35 MiB) Downloaded 266 times