Synthetic Phono Oil

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Synthetic Phono Oil

Post by Valecnik »

Anyone that can offer an opinion on this? :monkey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-synthetic-oil- ... 35ac6e8d90

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Synthetic Phono Oil

Post by OrthoSean »

I was wondering the same thing. This stuff seems to have popped up all over eBay. I was thinking of getting a bottle to try on my electric motor of my credenza and 10-50 since it looks like it may stand up a bit better to the heat from the coils from prolonged playing periods. I have my doubts that it would be beneficial for spring motor machines, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong here... :coffee:

Sean

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I googled this and found all kinds of various hobby forums asking what folks thought of it (just like here). I did read one scathing thread in a slot car forum where the posters stated that they owned the name and it was stolen by this guy, including the wording in the claims.

I can't verify the veracity of any of this, however, based upon googling, I could find no businesses showing this as their product with any technical data. Also, the Ebay listing pictures just say "Liquid Bearings" I see no product registration or safety information. Also, clicking on "show other items" shows this exact add targeted to just about anything that needs lubrication.

So, how do we know it is real synthetic oil? What weight is it? What are the viscosity and temperature profiles?.

It would be interesting to ask this guy for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) or where to find it online.

I would bet that all this guys is doing is putting motor oil in little bottles and selling at the equivalent of $191 a quart.

As a buyer I would beware.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Yea and the title to the eBAY post does not exactly instill confidence in the expertise of the seller,
BEST synthetic oil for Admiral phonographs,

To date, for light oiling I've bought clock oil which is synthetic. It's really light.

I've used something like three in one oil where heavier a heavier oil seems appropriate, like in the oilers on a diamond disc machine. The clock oil runs right thru the felt too quickly I think. :monkey:

spin78's
Victor I

Post by spin78's »

I started using Slick 50 as a phonograph lubricant a couple of years ago with great results. I also mix some with the grease in the spring barrels after a good cleaning. It’s a bit expensive, but I figure this one bottle will last several years.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Just about any lube you can buy these days(save 3-in-one or other straight mineral oils)is many times better than the oils from circa 1920. A quart of Mobil One motor oil (a synthetic polymer of petroleum based oil) in any of its available viscosities would serve me for the next hundred years as a spring motor lube.