APS.. The Antique Phonograph, Howard Hazelcorn Memoriam

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

APS.. The Antique Phonograph, Howard Hazelcorn Memoriam

Post by fmblizz »

Kudo's go out to Tim Fabrizio for a very nice memoriam for Howard Hazelcorn in the December's edition of the APS magazine.

Besides being a fine gentleman, Howard was a wealth of knowledge which he enjoyed sharing and that surely benefited us all. May he Rest In Peace..

Blizz

ps.

Below is a cover picture of Howards 1st reference book copyrighted in 1976
Attachments
collectors guide.JPG

AudioAntique
Victor II
Personal Text: "There is always a way to do it better....find it" Thomas Edison

Re: APS.. The Antique Phonograph, Howard Hazelcorn Memoria

Post by AudioAntique »

The passing of Howard Hazelcorn: A rare collector in a class all his own.

We were touched by the APS memoriam written by Tim Fabrizio about his friend Howard Hazelcorn.

They were indeed great friends and also rare phonograph toys. Two phonograph toys are not found in our book on phonograph dolls and toys.

It was at a Union Show when a group of friends always celebrated Tim Fabrizio’s birthday. A “Tim Fabrizio Dancing Toy” was created for the occasion. After the presentation and demonstration, the toy was put up for auction with the proceeds going to Edison museums.

The high bidder was Howard who paid a good sum for the Fabrizio Dancing Toy. As he wrote the check, he commented: “I just had to have it.” He then asked us to make a Hazelcorn Dancing Toy, which we presented to Howard at the following Union show in 2010. Howard had a true passion for collecting. Years later, when we visited his home, both toys were dancing with joy.

We will always remember Howard for his dry humor and sharing his knowledge with collectors. We thank him for sharing his phonograph toys with us for the book. However, the rarest toys are not found in the book, but will be dancing in search of phonographs and bringing knowledge and pleasure to future collectors.

Our sympathy to Jane, who supported his collecting passions and to his family.

Robin & Joan R.
Attachments
Hazelcorn Toy 2010-LR.jpg
http://www.audioantique.com - Books featuring: Hearthstone Historic House Museum, Nipper Collectibles, Nipper items, Phonograph Dolls & Toys; Items for sale.

phonohound
Victor II

Re: APS.. The Antique Phonograph, Howard Hazelcorn Memoria

Post by phonohound »

My Friend Howard Hazelcorn:

When I first started collecting phonographs back in 1996, I knew I always wanted an Oak Edison Opera. I lived in NYC at the time and didn’t know many collectors nor had I been to any phonograph shows yet.

In 1998, I got a lead that a collector in Florida named Howard Hazelcorn had an original oak Opera for sale. I got his number and called him to see if the Opera was still available and we concluded the deal.

When the Opera arrived, it was damaged, and I called him to ask what we can do about it. We literally spent several days on the phone discussing how to claim the insurance, which soon led to us talking on the phone daily for many years. I am so grateful that my Oak Opera arrived damaged because if it wasn’t for that, Howard and I would never have been as close as we were for more than 30 years.

Our relationship was like a father & son. Howard taught me what to look for and what to stay away from. His motto was to buy the best you can afford. It wasn’t about quantity, but quality and I still live by this rule today.

In 1998, Howard invited me to stay at his home in FL and then attend the Orlando Phonograph Show with him. What a treat to be able to spend days with such a generous and seasoned collector and for him to show me his amazing phonographs and other collections. Howard and his wife Jane were always such gracious hosts and I remember how they appreciated that I left the room I stayed in the same as it was before I slept in it.

I miss my friend and mentor and appreciate his contribution to the hobby and he leaves a legacy of knowledge in his Columbia Phonograph books, articles, and books in other areas of collecting.

Thank you for enriching my life with your vast knowledge of phonographs, sense of humor and generosity.

Scott

Schlick
Victor II

Re: APS.. The Antique Phonograph, Howard Hazelcorn Memoriam

Post by Schlick »

Tim's article is just another reason I should really join APS some day!!!

Of all the books, Mr. Hazelcorn's is one of the only ones I kept---the very one he is signing in this picture below!

I am SO happy to have gotten to know him too!

- Michael
Hazelcorn signs book to LAS at union.jpg