The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Consolette horn question--did any come with a folded horn?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:47 pm 
Victor IV
According to the Victor Data Book, by Robert Baumbach, all Consolette and 4-3 models were equipped with the straight (non-folded) Western Electric horn, throughout the model's production life. Yet today, I looked at the revised profile of the 4-3 on the Victor Victrola Page and found this:

"In the summer of 1927, the 4-3 underwent a total design change to feature a larger cabinet with a modern, high-quality appearance (picture on right). The horn was improved via a re-entrant (folded) design, resulting in better bass response." SEE: http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-3.htm

Does anyone own a 4-3 equipped with a folded horn? I ask because the only 4-3s/Consolettes I've ever come across were the earlier models.

OrthoFan

Last edited by OrthoFan on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Victrola Consolette (4-3) horn question.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm 
Victor III
Very interesting. That is news to me. I'm not saying it isn't possible the Consolette ended up with a re-entrant horn, but I've owned many Consolettes/4-3s, and not one had a re-entrant horn, but had the simple exponential horn the line had from the beginning.

I know this was true of the 4-4/Granada, i.e., it did go from the exponential to the folded horn. I've owned one of each in the past.

I still have a 4-3 in my very small collection. The model seems to follow me throughout the years. They are just such a nice, compact size and really -- for what they are -- feature very nice sound reproduction.
A talking machine might be the closest you'll get to a time machine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 pm 
Victor IV
Many Thanks Charlie.

I'm wondering if it's an error on the page -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-3.htm -- and the data pertains to the 4-7, since, as I noted, the Victor Data Book does not mention that a folded horn was ever installed on the 4-3.

OrthoFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:47 pm 
Victor III
OrthoFan wrote:
Many Thanks Charlie.

I'm wondering if it's an error on the page -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-3.htm -- and the data pertains to the 4-7, since, as I noted, the Victor Data Book does not mention that a folded horn was ever installed on the 4-3.

OrthoFan

My pleasure; of course, it's only my opinion and that based on many years of owning Consolettes. I even owned one with an electric motor. There might be an error on the page, and yes, the 4-7 left the factory with the small folded horn -- like the one in the 4-4 (Granada).

The Victor Victrola page is a great resource and I've used it often over the years. But I do think it's possible an error has been made with respect to the horn in the 4-3.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in, and who knows? Perhaps there's a 4-3 out there with a folded horn, but I've yet to see one.
A talking machine might be the closest you'll get to a time machine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:17 pm 
Victor IV
CharliePhono wrote:
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in, and who knows? Perhaps there's a 4-3 out there with a folded horn, but I've yet to see one.

Yeah, I hoped there would be more responses, but normally my posts do not draw many for whatever reason. (Perhaps I'm the forum's resident persona non grata?)

I changed the title of the post so perhaps that will help.

OrthoFan