Vic IV/MS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Vic IV/MS

Post by ts_13 »

Hey guys I wanted to share this interesting machine I was lucky enough to get. I went to buy it with the impression that it was a vic IV, and even thought it was a IV when I loaded it in my truck. To my surprise the name plate said MS (I have a fancy case MS) but had not seen one like this. It was very dirty and still has a dark tone to the case after a lot of cleaning, but I am very excited about this oak IV/ MS. I wanted to see who else out there might have one so maybe we could compare notes.

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post.
Attachments
20201016_081253.jpg
20201017_102543.jpg
20201025_175607.jpg
20201025_175539.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Vic IV/MS

Post by Curt A »

Nice find...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on an exciting find!

Jerry B.

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Congratulations on a very nice machine. This is a very rare MS in the OAK case,
made like a VIC 4, the finish is original. I would use Kramer's restore a finish
to clean further. This is an all natural product that does no harm to the finish, but cleans very well, can be used on metal too, which the horn needs. Order on line or find at most antique malls.

As far as comparing notes, I owned one of these same machines years ago. I had just bought it and someone offered
me a lot more money so I sold it. I have regretted that ever since, never had the opportunity to buy another, over 20 years ago.

You should make every effort to find an original crank and restore this, it will be one of the rarest machines you will find.

Thanks for sharing, brings back great memories, All the best,

David & Lerria

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This is wonderful!

I have an original crank for you if you need one. It will need a little brazing (there is a crack on the slotted end) but the nickel plating is absolutely gorgeous & it has the right color of knob for an oak machine. It came from a minty Victor III.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Nice find, Taylor !! -- Send some pics when you get it all cleaned up!!

Brad Abell

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Nice find, and I love the Second Hand Machine label.

James.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

What a great find! Congratulations!

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

phonolady wrote:Congratulations on a very nice machine. This is a very rare MS in the OAK case,
made like a VIC 4, the finish is original. I would use Kramer's restore a finish
to clean further. This is an all natural product that does no harm to the finish, but cleans very well, can be used on metal too, which the horn needs. Order on line or find at most antique malls.

As far as comparing notes, I owned one of these same machines years ago. I had just bought it and someone offered
me a lot more money so I sold it. I have regretted that ever since, never had the opportunity to buy another, over 20 years ago.

You should make every effort to find an original crank and restore this, it will be one of the rarest machines you will find.

Thanks for sharing, brings back great memories, All the best,

David & Lerria
Thank you, it was just luck that I stumbled on this one. The crank it has is not original (but slotted), you are right I need to get one. I will look up the Kramers, I have not used this product before.