is this table top XI worth getting

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

is this table top XI worth getting

Post by Jonsheff »

I have an opportunity to pickup this early XI table top Victrola, asking price was $500 but is letting me have it for $300, does that seem like a bargain? I am not familiar with this model, it looks to be in great shape. its a bit of a drive for me, 3 hours round trip.
early XI table top.jpg

Django
Victor IV

Re: is this table top XI worth getting

Post by Django »

If it is In decent condition, I would be happy to get it for that. The brake, crank and reproducer are worth more than that, (I am not advocating parting it out). The VV-XI table top is an attractive and fairly scarce machine. I would have been interested if I didn’t already have one.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The early XI is a nice looking and good playing Machine. If it looks as good overall as what I can see from the photo, go for it. They don't show up very often.

Jim

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Any table top XI is worth getting to me!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Many years ago a first generation collector made the comment to me that any Victrola is only good for its donor parts. I never agreed with that comment but many early collectors lived and followed through with those sentiments. The table model VV-XI is a perfect example of a parts donor. It has:

Victor III or IV motor
early female crank
Victor VI speed control (Victors IV or V if re-plated)
Victor VI brake (many Victor horn machines if re-plated)
Victor VI tone arm (Victors M, MS, D, III, IV, or V if re-plated)
Victor V turntable
Gold Exhibition sound box

The table model Victrola XI was sold early in Victrola production when Victor was still feeling its way around the Victrola idea. Early Victrola models were quite unique and each had a different appearance. The table model VV-XI suffered from a small horn and horn opening and sold in quite small numbers. It wasn't long before Victor standardized the general appearance of the whole line of machines. Each step up in models generally gave a slightly larger cabinet or extra features and the result was wildly successful for Victor.

The first generation collector back in the fifties and sixties was primarily interested in horn machines. The typical floor model Victrola XI is not a good parts donor but early collectors prized the "L" door Victrolas as well as the first XIV and table models X, XI, and XII for their donor parts. All of these early Victrolas sold in small numbers plus they had to survive being catabolized by early collectors.

In my opinion this VV-XI is well worth $300 and enjoyed as an early and historic Victrola.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

$300 is what I paid for mine, so I guess I'd consider that a good price. What we can see of it looks very nice. If what doesn't show is equally as nice, I would encourage you to consider a sympathetic restoration to preserve what's apparently a very nice example. Either way, I know you'll make it look great.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

What was the verdict?