Edison Disc Motor Manual

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Edison Disc Motor Manual

Post by MordEth »

richardh wrote:Well one typing error isn't bad. and the important stuff is very clear. Reminds me of a embarrassing error I once made typing something that was published and was only pointed out after it had gone to press. I managed to mis-type the phrase "public consultation". I am sure you can tell which "L" I mistakenly left out! :lol: :oops: :lol:
Ouch. If it makes you feel any better, I saw something hysterical on Engrish.com in a fax machine manual, where some Japanese technical writer was attempting to describe ‘hooking’ the phone. Alas, unfortunately for him, Japanese does not have a ‘hu’ sound like English does, and apparently he felt that using two consonants gave a better ‘k’ sound in English.

In the interests of keeping this safe for polite company, I’ll omit what he typed in place of the verb in that manual. ;)

Definitely, though, any time I let a computer process text, I always try to make a point of checking it thoroughly, but still, sometimes errors still slip through.

At the moment, I’m wrapping up an article from Popular Science on using shellac, which I think would be a good addition to the Tips, Tricks & Technical Info section.

I’m looking forward to being able to post more manuals and articles.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Steve Medved's pictures do a much better and more accurate job than I was able to do in narrative fashion from memory yesterday. In fact the pictures also point out some of my assumptions were incorrect. The earliest DD sleeves in fact had no paper title and had holes in the center to allow one to view the title of the record. Only a bit later did they go to the solid sleeve with pasted on paper title.

Thanks Steve and to Shane for posting this!

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Thanks David for your efforts on this! Very well worth the d/l. Also the "Smart Way To Use Shellac" is a good read as well, especially with the new people interested in restoration work, myself included. Thanks again!

Jim

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Jim,

You’re very welcome. I hope to do other manuals soon, and if anyone has a manual or an article that they would like to scan and send to me (300-600 DPI is optimal, but I can work with less than this), I would be glad to run it through OCR and get it up on the board.

I like making PDFs of these, as they’re both printer-friendly and still able to be searched, unlike scanned images.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bobscomp
Victor Jr

Post by bobscomp »

I see your in Boston, I'm in North Reading, and am having trouble getting the center pin out from an Edison Home model B, any suggestions?, would love to come and see your collection.

CrimsonWolf
Victor Jr

Post by CrimsonWolf »

I am so Glad that I found this post. I have my grandfathers B-19 model. It was a simple tear down when you get down to it as I had to fix the main spring. However with this I can now trouble shoot some of the minor issues I have been finding. I think this will warrant another tear down and following of this manual as I did not know what to put in the drum to help the spring move easy.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Thank you for this very valuable resource!!

And if it were me I would consider having only one minor typo something of an achievement! :D

Clay

P.S. I am really glad to see that the new Internet Explorer 10 has a built-in spell checker.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I've been looking for!
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I just got a C 200 diamond disc and this helps a lot thanks for the information Tom B

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Outstanding work. I'm going to get a nice copy printed at Kinkos and I will keep it with my A250. Thanks very much.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."