Aluminum horn question?? see pic's

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

Aluminum horn question?? see pic's

Post by fmblizz »

I have two small aluminum horns showing lots of age which I feel are both original. The one which is the typical Columbia horn with the Pat.Appl for on the seam near the nipple has a 7 ⅛ inch bell and is 13 ½ inches in length. The other horn slightly larger has no markings, a 7 ½ inch bell and is 14 inches in length. The other difference is the construction of the smaller end as can be seen in the pictures provided.

Was there another company that produced these small aluminum horn or is this a reproduction?

See pic's provided below.

Any input would be appreciated.

Blizz
Attachments
nipple.jpg
bell.jpg
body.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Aluminum horn question?? see pic's

Post by JerryVan »

They both appear original to me.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree; both original. I think the horn on the right (with the straight orifice) was an early (ca. 1900-1902) Hawthorne & Sheble product.

The crimped/formed orifice was patented by Charles J. Eichorn (No.797,724), and assigned to the Tea Tray Company. (Hawthorne & Sheble could have manufactured a similar horn under license, of course.) The crimped/formed end seemed to appear around 1902/03, although the patent application wasn't filed until June 14, 1904. (At the time, the U.S. Patent Office allowed filing a patent on a product that had been manufactured for less than two years.)

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

If you have a Columbia AW machine you need the horn on the right. The rolled end won't fit the horn mount.

Chuck

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

enclosed is a picture of an AW reproducer... that would certainly make sense as it looks like the small end actually fits inside the reproducer horn mount thus the rolled/crimped end would prohibit that ..

are there any other cylinder machines that use that type of reproducer ??

Blizz
Attachments
aw horn.jpg
aw horn.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 992 times

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

another pic of the AW reproducer with proper horn??

blizz
Attachments
aw horn 2.JPG