Show us your Hand Driven Phonographs and Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mlund2020
Victor II

Show us your Hand Driven Phonographs and Gramophones

Post by Mlund2020 »

Of all the phonographs, the early Hand-Driven Phonographs have always been my favorite. I have always found their primitive elegance and simplicity captivating. They are unquestionably the most cherished phonographs in my collection.

Mike
Last edited by Mlund2020 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Show me your Hand Driven Phonograph

Post by Roaring20s »

Yikes, an amazing collection! :shock:

James.

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Show us your Hand Driven Phonograph

Post by Skihawx »

I only have one. Maybe you can tell me something about it?
It looks like they made several variations over the short span.
Attachments
BHW.JPG

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

Skihawx wrote:I only have one. Maybe you can tell me something about it?
It looks like they made several variations over the short ‘Berliner Gramophone Co’ which is the later version or span.
That is a great example of the 7” Hand Driven Berliner Gramophone dating from around 1896. I suspect the metal tag would either say ‘United States Gramophone Co’ which is the rarer and earliest version or the more commonly seen ‘Berliner Gramophone Co’ which is the later version. The latest version did not have a metal ID tag but a Berliner decal and featured the Berliner-Clark slip clutch to help with speed regulation. The Hand Driven Berliner marked Berliner’s entrance into the US phonograph market. With this machine Berliner introduced the 7 inch record format that would be the standard for the next 12 years. Thanks for sharing your beautiful example.

Mike

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

What a great line up Mike. Here are my two. My Berliner Gramophone Philadelphia came from a museum and was originally owned by a Hurdy Gurdy dancer. Years ago, a 1950's post card came on Ebay showing my machine while in the museum. It is nice to have with the machine.
1895 Berliner Hand Wind (7).JPG
1895 Berliner Hand-Wind In the Museum 1950's.JPG
K&R Grammophon (2).JPG

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

gramophone78 wrote:What a great line up Mike. Here are my two. My Berliner Gramophone Philadelphia came from a museum and was originally owned by a Hurty Gurty dancer. Years ago, a 1950's post card came on Ebay showing my machine while in the museum. It is nice to have with the machine.
1895 Berliner Hand Wind (7).JPG
1895 Berliner Hand-Wind In the Museum 1950's.JPG
K&R Grammophon (2).JPG
Wayne,
That is a beautiful example of the 7 “ Berliner. It is awesome to have such great provenance. That always adds so much to the machine. I recognize that K&R LOL- a great piece that is especially dear to my heart. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Mike, It's nice to see all of your hand wind machines together.
Seeing the other examples, also makes me just a bit jealous... :mrgreen:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Mike, it's not often one can trace a very early machine back to it's original owner. I would like to think she is one of these fine gals that came over from Germany in the 1860's to entertain the gold seekers in this first photo (circa 1860)....however, I could never substantiate this. I was able to find one photo of her near the end of her life. She married a hotel owner and moved South to opened and run a coach house (seen circa 1920) which later burned to the ground in the early 1940's. Thankfully, the family had already donated many items before that fire.
Hurdy Gurdy  Dancers.png
Hurdy Gurdy Dancers.png (100.71 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
Kathrine.jpg
20 Mile House.JPG

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

gramophone78 wrote:Mike, it's not often one can trace a very early machine back to it's original owner. I would like to think she is one of these fine gals that came over from Germany in the 1860's to entertain the gold seekers in this first photo (circa 1860)....however, I could never substantiate this. I was able to find one photo of her near the end of her life. She married a hotel owner and moved South to opened and run a coach house (seen circa 1920) which later burned to the ground in the early 1940's. Thankfully, the family had already donated many items before that fire.
Hurdy Gurdy Dancers.png
Kathrine.jpg
20 Mile House.JPG
Wayne,
That is great stuff!
Mike

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Maybe....Someday...I hope to own maybe one. Wonderful collection Mike!!