Stuck pot metal tonearm

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Stuck pot metal tonearm

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

I have a pot metal tonearm that's in surprisingly good condition with no cracks and very little wear. It's the kind that can be switched to play both vertical and laterally cut records, the only problem is that the base of the tonearm (the part that makes it move across the record) is stuck. I've been trying to get it unstuck but I'm scared of breaking it. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem? It would be nice to be able to use the tonearm again, but I've tried everything i can think of

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Stuck pot metal tonearm

Post by Jerry B. »

I would suggest posting a photo of your tone arm with a ruler next to suggest length. A lot of off brand machines were made from generic parts. There's a reasonable chance that someone could help you.

Jerry B.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Anna-marie Berliner wrote:I have a pot metal tonearm that's in surprisingly good condition with no cracks and very little wear. It's the kind that can be switched to play both vertical and laterally cut records, the only problem is that the base of the tonearm (the part that makes it move across the record) is stuck. I've been trying to get it unstuck but I'm scared of breaking it. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem? It would be nice to be able to use the tonearm again, but I've tried everything i can think of
Called a ‘universal’ tone arm.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Post a photo. Certainly it can become un-stuck....but the key is to use the right method and NOT TOO MUCH FORCE, otherwise it will crumble.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

The freezer trick usually works for me

Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, here are some pictures of the tonearm. It seems to be in pretty good condition compared to others I've had that crumble when you pick them up. This one has no cracks in it. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the bearings
Attachments
IMG_20201128_170738770.jpg