Trade Mark Berliner - presented to Peter Dawson in 1948

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Trade Mark Berliner - presented to Peter Dawson in 1948

Post by gramophone78 »

Now that is the best way to strip a fibre gear!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .Winding it with the break off and under tension!!!! :lol: :lol: .Hearing it make that "snap" sound after he let go of the crank was REAL nice.I can see the new owner is not too up on the operations of these machines.At least you may still get a repro gear if needed. :lol: :lol:

transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

Post by transformingArt »

I just saw this on YT and found the same video here - surely it is interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have many of Peter Dawson recordings - A Victor Pressing of "Waltzing Matilda" is all I got. I used to have a vinyl pressing of a Schubert song which he sung in English, but I sold it away.

To think a person who started to record on Wax Cylinder and ended up making Stereo recordings - It surely is SOMETHING!
Anyone can think of any other performers who can think of that kind of long, long recording Career? I can think of Leopold Stokowski who made his first recordings on 1917 Acoustic Victor sessions and made his final ones on Quadrophonic in 1974.

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

I made cylinders for Vulcan, Piano Rolls for Mastertouch and various CDs, but not over a long career like that!

Surely the record (!) must go to Stokowski!

Regards, Glenn.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wow! It's hard to believe someone would sell off a piece of family history like that, especially considering the original owner & where it came from. I can only imagine what sort of price the machine would bring at auction, even as a replica. It's probably THE most important known machine of Australias musical history.
Not meaning to sound too callus towards your friend, but I think it's a shame the machine has fallen into private hands & is being dragged around to radio shows. It really should be in a museum where it could be properly cared for & preserved.
In all honesty. if it were mine, I'd be donating it to the Australian Sound and Film archives in Canberra or a similar institute/museum. Some things are far more important than money.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

transformingArt wrote:
Anyone can think of any other performers who can think of that kind of long, long recording Career?
Billy Murray recorded for a couple more years than Dawson, but he of course started & finished earlier. Unfortunately Murray never made it vinyl & stereo, but that would have been awesome too.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

transformingArt wrote: Anyone can think of any other performers who can think of that kind of long, long recording Career? I can think of Leopold Stokowski who made his first recordings on 1917 Acoustic Victor sessions and made his final ones on Quadrophonic in 1974.
In case we also include unissued recordings: Josef Hofmann recorded between 1890 (Berlin, on an Edison Class W [water motor phonograph]) and the late 1940s or possibly even the early 1950s.

By the way, I don't belief the often told story that he made recordings in 1887 during a visit at Edison's laboratory.