Thoughts on Edison C200 purchase

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Re: Thoughts on Edison C200 purchase

Post by Herderz »

Thanks guy's, well I am looking forward to tomorrows road trip to get this machine, what can I say, covid got me cabin fever. I think this machine will get me through most of the winter. Definitely a step up above a off brand as far as how it works and with 2 reproducers being able to play both DD records and 78's. I look forward to the challenge.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I love my diamond disc machine (I have a B-250). Diamond discs have a certain sound to them... I think you will really enjoy it!I rebuilt my reproducer with a figure 6 diaphragm (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44791&hilit=edison) which I thought made it sound a lot better.

Cheers
David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If you're not able to transport it in an upright position, and must lay it down, then do yourself the favor of removing the turntable, crank, and reproducer! There is a knurled collar behind the reproducer. Rotate it clockwise until it stops, then pull the reproducer out of the horn arm. Note also, the horn attaches to, and pivots on, a vertical shaft. The bottom end of the shaft fits into a socket. The shaft is held in the socket by gravity and can slip out when the phonograph is laid on its back. Know that it can happen and that it will need to be positioned back into the socket once vertical. Also note, that when this happens, the shaft & horn are only supported then by the "ear" on the edge of the cast iron bedplate. Some way of tying the horn/shaft in place, to prevent its slipping out, wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

Good luck! Have fun! Be safe!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Great advice above. I'll add that removing the grille is advisable first, and stuffing a bed spread, towels or whatever into the top compartment and securing the lid closed will prevent the horn from moving around during transport.

Congratulations and best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Congrats on the new machine! Please don't think me a wet blanket, but I do want to offer one caution. I would say not to count on that lateral adapter as a "go to" way of playing conventional 78s. The things do work, but I've found that the interplay of mine, at least, with the diamond disc mechanism is awkward and cumbersome in operation. I'd suggest you think of the new machine--and it does look like a nice one!--as a way of exploring the wonderful world of Edison discs, a rewarding adventure in itself. For more than just the occasional lateral, stick with a machine that was actually designed to play them.

If you do make frequent use of the adapter, in the interests of protecting the Edison stylus from mishaps you should consider getting a storage bracket or box to hold the diamond disc reproducer when it's not in service. Here's a photo from the Web showing one of the brackets (this one for two reproducers, but you would need only a single); it would mount to the rear inner wall of the turntable compartment or else with a clamp to the bedplate, in either case letting the reproducer(s) stick up at about a 45 degree angle.

Here's one of the boxes, showing how a reproducer fits in it.

The most basic storage device is one of the shipping frames in which the reproducers traveled originally from the factory. They're kinda crude, but they do the job and usually don't go for many $$$. Just remove the metal strap and set it aside. Incidentally, one of these can be useful if you send your reproducer away for servicing.

For any of these options, keep an eye on online auctions and the Yankee Trader section here on the forum; I got a nice reproduction bracket from the latter a few years back.