Found on the curb. Nordica Console Phonograph.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
professordevlin
Victor Jr

Found on the curb. Nordica Console Phonograph.

Post by professordevlin »

Okay, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I found on the curb, a very old crank style phonograph. It's made by Nordica. It's a console style, and it is complete. Came with a pile of spare needles, and it is in pretty damned good shape. EXCEPT, that the main drive unit spring is broken I believe. I took it apart, and am going to see if I can get it repaired. I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm not sure if I'm the guy to actually fix this thing.

Has anyone actually heard of Nordica? This one was manufactured in Chicago, but there's no dates of manufacture at all on it. I turned it upside down looking and can't find anything at all. Everything is pristine except for the spring drive.

The lady that used to have it passed away recently and her kids ceremoniously just dumped all of her stuff out onto the street. I'm very happy to have found it, but really could use some help and advice on how to restore it.

Can anyone tell me about the Nordica Company?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Found on the curb. Nordica Console Phonograph.

Post by estott »

I can only surmise the company was named after opera singer Lillian Nordica:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillian_Nordica

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Found on the curb. Nordica Console Phonograph.

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the board Professor!

I don't know about the Nordica company, however, don't sell yourself short on replacing a mainspring. There have been many members of this board that decided to try and had success.

Check our GramaphoneShane's excellent video which shows what is involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbPa-VWAzSY
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?