Amberola 30 Fixup

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Amberola 30 Fixup

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Gang,

When I was 16 my father and I fixed up an Amberola 30. I have used it for many years and today I wanted to re-do the work as I have some time and "think" that I'm smarter.

I noticed that under the metal base plate we had put some chunks of rubber (truck tire innertube) between the metal plate and the metal supports. I guess that the idea was to isolate any vibration from the gears to the wooden case for noise reduction.

Is there an online Edison publication that shows the various parts of this model (30) ? Also seems to work and sound O.K. but I wonder if I should remove all the metal gears and clean the various parts and bearings ?

Marc

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Amberola 30 Fixup

Post by Lucius1958 »

I've never noticed any issue with motor noise on the 30; but I find that insulating the connections between the horn and the rest of the machine (including rubber tubing over the suspension spring) certainly improves the sound quality.

- Bill

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Two Questions:

1. Was there felt between the motor plate and the mounting brackets ?

2. What is the technique to adjust preload on the worm gear ? There is a black screw for making an adjustment on the front of the governor\worm drive assembly.

Marc

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

I will answer my questions as I learned the answer on my own.

1. The preload or position of the worm drive gears can be adjusted my loosening the top screws on the governor shaft and then turning the flat black screw on the front of the governor casting. This screw head hits the governor shaft and by turning the screw the whole shaft assembly moves towards the rear. This adjustment can remove most if not all of the noise from these gears and reduce the friction on the worm drive by a large amount. When the correct location is found then you tighten the two top screws to hold the shaft in the last position.

2. Felt was used between the baseplate and the mounting brackets. Rubber can be also used and removes much gear noise that could be transmitted to the wooden case and in turn amplified.

3. After I finished oiling and adjustment, I have been able to play more than three cylinder 4 minute records on one winding of the single spring at the correct 160 RPM.

A machine that I had over 50 years ago is now working correctly.

Marc