Featured Phonograph No. 150 The Victor Victrola XIII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Featured Phonograph No. 150 The Victor Victrola XIII

Post by Mr Grumpy »

I’m finally starting to remove my collection from storage as I now have the room to display all of my machines.
I thought I’d create a featured phonograph post for these ones as I’m planning on selling one in the future and
would like to have its existence documented.

Make: Victor
Model: VV-XIII
Serial # See below
Year(s) Made: 1921
Original Cost: $250 Canadian Dollars
Case/Cabinet Size: Ugh, I didn’t know I’d need a measuring tape for this!
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Victrola No. 2
Motor: 2-spring
Horn Dimensions: Ugh, see case/cabinet size above.
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: Specific to the Canadian market the XIII is a bit of an oddity (one of mine is odder
still!). According to Victor-Victrola.com the XIII had been documented in the Victor production logs but it was
assumed to be an error in record keeping until one showed up in the hands of collectors in the 1990s. Also,
according to the same website the factory records show 662 units were produced. The earliest recorded Serial
number from this site is 522 while the latest is 1169. One of my examples is before this range at 510 while the
other is near the end of production at 988. Surprising difference noted below.

Favorite Characteristics: Like most collectors, I enjoy staring at my machines for hours at a time, examining
their parts and imagining their history. I really enjoy imagining the story behind why this machine exists and
why so few were made. It is such an odd design, unlike anything I’ve seen of other Victrolas except for the
early XIV. Sometimes I speculate that the XIII was an attempt to reintroduce the early XIV style. Similarly to
how North American car manufacturers have tried to reintroduce old style muscle cars lately, but the XIII is
more like the Ford Thunderbird of 2002 where no one’s really sure why they built them and not too many people
bought or like them. As a native Torontonian, I also like that these machines were specifically built for two
Canadian cities. It makes me feel special, in a special Canadian kind of way.

The XIII with the early serial number (510) also has a curiously carved design around the motor board.
While I consider myself pretty good at spotting slight differences in finishes, colours, and textures, I’m
having a difficult time finding any evidence that would suggest this feature wasn’t added at the factory.
Note the pictures of the sides of the wood when the motor board is raised, I thought I’d see a different
colour or perhaps a run or brush stroke here but it looks completely original.

Has there ever been a Victrola that was slightly different than the rest of the production run?
Is it possible that 510 was the first machine produced?
What say you?

I’ll add a few close up pictures of some of the great details of these machines (hopefully tomorrow).
20201218_111936 (2).jpg
20201218_111958.jpg
20201218_112013.jpg
20201218_112036.jpg
20201218_112052.jpg
20201218_112105.jpg
20201218_112317.jpg
20201218_112324.jpg
20201218_112336.jpg
20201218_112403.jpg
20201218_112413.jpg
Vince
Youtube

oltractor
Victor I

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 150 The Victor Victrola XIII

Post by oltractor »

love this, Thanks for sharing!

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Okay I'm not sure why i didn't do this earlier but I just did the math and this early example could very well be Machine number 1. If not, it's only three away.
Vince
Youtube

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The assumed typo that you referred to in the Victor production logs is also what I thought you did in this thread's subject line. I never knew there was such a thing as a XIII! That's very cool, and..... you have TWO of them! Thanks for posting.

UPDATE: I guess I did know that such a thing existed. You first mentioned it on the forum in 2013 and I apparently bitched about the large Robertson head screws in the lid hinge. Jeez, what a jerk! :oops:

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

JerryVan wrote:The assumed typo that you referred to in the Victor production logs is also what I thought you did in this thread's subject line. I never knew there was such a thing as a XIII! That's very cool, and..... you have TWO of them! Thanks for posting.

UPDATE: I guess I did know that such a thing existed. You first mentioned it on the forum in 2013 and I apparently bitched about the large Robertson head screws in the lid hinge. Jeez, what a jerk! :oops:
Lol. I lost that lid hinge because of you! I removed the screws and then misplaced the hinge before I plated the new screws. I'm sure it's a standard size and something from a more common machine will fit. Got any hinges???

Looking back at that old post, I was so new to collecting. I've learned so much since then (and accumulated so much too!)
Vince
Youtube

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mr Grumpy wrote:
JerryVan wrote:The assumed typo that you referred to in the Victor production logs is also what I thought you did in this thread's subject line. I never knew there was such a thing as a XIII! That's very cool, and..... you have TWO of them! Thanks for posting.

Lol. I lost that lid hinge because of you! I removed the screws and then misplaced the hinge before I plated the new screws. I'm sure it's a standard size and something from a more common machine will fit. Got any hinges???

Looking back at that old post, I was so new to collecting. I've learned so much since then (and accumulated so much too!)
Well crap... :|

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

During this period the serial number would have started at No. 501. So 510 is very close to the beginning. Would love to find a VV-XIII some day. I don't know about that extra woodwork detail. It is interesting but I don't think I like it.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

Wonderful post. I have helped another member repair his XIII so there is a third unit. Interesting in that it still was distributed through the Berliner Company in Montreal. Could that be the other Canadian city?
Blain

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Canuk Phonographs wrote:Wonderful post. I have helped another member repair his XIII so there is a third unit. Interesting in that it still was distributed through the Berliner Company in Montreal. Could that be the other Canadian city?
Blain
Yes, it was Toronto and Montreal. I know of at least 6 survivors.
Vince
Youtube

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I know of at least two on the West Coast. Vince, can please provide where you discovered this model was made for the Montreal and Toronto market ?
As already mentioned, serial numbers started at 501 by this time.