Grill Cloth Suggestions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
randymullx
Victor O

Grill Cloth Suggestions

Post by randymullx »

I would like some input on what type of grill cloth is close to the original for the Amberola 30, Pathé 100 and Edison C-150? I've seen photos of the Amberola 30 that show a cloth that is almost orange. Both the Pathé 100 and Edison C-150 are Oak. I've read that the Edison Oak DD machines typically had a gold/brown cloth. I would really appreciate any suggestions on where to obtain cloths that are close to the originals.

Thanks for all and Happy Holidays,
Randy

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Grill Cloth Suggestions

Post by Jerry B. »

I've always gone to a fabric store and purchased the cloth that is used in a nice man's jacket. I take the grill with me and pick a color that compliments the wood. Of course I have no real idea how sound transparency coat liner compares with real grill cloth. Another consideration is color. I've read where Amberola 50 owners say their original grill cloth is green. I doubt if the grill cloth for an oak or mahogany Amberola 50 started out as green. Many times a brown will evolve to a green over time. I'm not suggesting that owners of such a machine replace the grill cloth but if it needs replacing I'd replace with a color that the machine originally started with.

Jerry B.