I Would Say This Is Fairly Elaborate!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Re: I Would Say This Is Fairly Elaborate!

Post by schweg »

It's getting close. I got a lot done on Sat and some additional this evening. I still have a few odd parts to finish, as seen in between the 2 doors. Also, the vertical part of the bottom needs to be finished up. Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll be trying to find a spot to shoehorn it into the house somewhere.
PA190039.JPG
PA190037.JPG
Steve S.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

It looks amazing already. Great work. Congratulations!

Andreas

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

schweg wrote:It's getting close. I got a lot done on Sat and some additional this evening. I still have a few odd parts to finish, as seen in between the 2 doors. Also, the vertical part of the bottom needs to be finished up. Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll be trying to find a spot to shoehorn it into the house somewhere.
PA190039.JPG
PA190037.JPG
Steve S.
If you are having trouble getting the remnants of white paint out of the grain of the wood you should simply give the partially stripped finish a coat of 3# cut shellac, and then strip again. The shellac will pull the white paint out of the grain of the wood.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Uncle V-- Thanks for the suggestion. I searched online early in the project and found that method and tried it but it didn't seem to really move any of the white out of the deep spots. The oak on this is really rough so I did the best I could and will continue with a small pick as time permits. I am not going to put on any clear coat over the stained finish so I can work on the grain and put stain on in small dabs if needed without any problems.