Edison Opera database

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonohound
Victor II

Re: Edison Opera database

Post by phonohound »

Rene

Is my 726 the lowest oak serial number so far? I believe oak came out in 1912, but not sure what month. If that is the case, we may be able to pinpoint those Operas that were made in 1911. Anyone know when Operas ere discontinued?

thanks

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

As of now, yours is indeed the earliest oak Opera I have recorded. But I need a lot more numbers to feel comfortable drawing major conclusions.

Frow claims that oak Operas were released in February 1912. He also claims that a Concert, #4604, dates to 1914. But there's nothing in his book to back that up. He writes that Edison announced the end of production of outside horn phonographs on October 1, 1913.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phonolair wrote:
JerryVan wrote:
Phonolair wrote:MAHOGANY OPERA
SERIAL NUMBER 2161
I've owned it about 30 years

OAK OPERA
SERIAL NUMBER 2672
I'm the owner

Larry Crandell
Hey Larry, my Opera is only 4 s/n's from yours, (2676).
I also see Valecnik has Oak Opera #2667, 5 s/n's apart.
I wonder if the Opera's could have been built in groups. A group or run of oak cases and a group or run of mahogany cases.

Jerry your Opera and mine probably hung out pretty close to each other on the factory floor. And after all these years they're still pretty close together.

Larry Crandell

They may even recognize each other!

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Rene

I agree with horn phonographs being cleared out by October 1913, but the School Opera was still produced until early 1914, according to Frow.

What I meant in my post earlier was once you obtain a larger universe of Operas, we should be able to pinpoint a cutoff of Operas made in 1911 and then those from 1912 forward.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

While the School Phonograph was still available in 1914, I seriously doubt any were made that late. Early School serial numbers are intermixed with Operas, but there's a block of about 200 in the mid-3000s that (so far) has no Operas intermixed. And none appear any higher than that major block.

I believe that after making a few to order, Edison made a large run of School Phonographs for inventory. He clearly expected more demand than they actually generated; he was forced to discount them to unload the last of that run in 1914.

I do hope that as the database grows we can make some realistic assumptions about other details.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Wagnerian wrote:Serial No: 1706
Wood: Mahogany
Owner: Me
Marking: Opera

Has a dealer plate from: Fletcher Bros., Nanaimo, BC but it was purchased by me here in the UK so at some point it has travelled from Canada to the UK.

All the best

Tim W-W
My #1741 (35 away from yours) was also found in Canada (Vancouver). There must have been a batch sent to BC which ours are a part of.

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

Serial number 3843
Wood- mahogany
Owner - me
Notes - opera

Serial number 3204
Wood - oak
Owner - me
Notes - opera

Serial number 3417
School opera
Owner - me
Notes - you have the details already.
Bought this off a collector here in Victoria Australia. He owned it for about 35 years and he picked it up in Adelaide. I waited about 13 years for the opportunity to buy this.

Thanks for everyone’s input. It will be fascinating to see what conclusions can be drawn.

Stephen

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

I did a google search for Edison Opera Phonograph and came up with lots of hits. I went to the images page and began clicking on them. Most were from auctions. I am listing what I found below. I'm sure that there are many more listed on the internet if people want to look for them.

Harry

Mahogany

Oak
with handles
(Christies Auction)

Oak

Oak

Mahogany

Oak

Mahogany

Oak

Mahogany

Oak

Mahogany

Oak

Oak

Mahogany

Mahogany

Oak

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Mahogany

Oak

Oak

Mahogany
Mahogany

Mahogany
Concert

Oak

Oak

Mahogany

Oak

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

Serial # 938
Wood oak
Owner Me
Notes Opera

Serial # 2856
Wood Mahogany
Owner Me
Notes Opera

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

hbick2 wrote:I did a google search for Edison Opera Phonograph and came up with lots of hits. I went to the images page and began clicking on them. Most were from auctions. I am listing what I found below.
Thanks for that lengthy list! I had done a lot of Google searching as well, and found lots of listings. However you found many that I had missed.

I had to go back to Google to double-check one on your list, #564. That would put the first oak example a couple of hundred numbers earlier than the first I had previously found. I see it sold at Christie's in 2002, and it's unquestionably oak in the photo. I wish there were a picture of the plate to confirm the serial number, but I'll have to trust that Christie's transcribed it correctly.

The tally is now up to 185. That's great progress for a project that's only a few days old, and over the Christmas holiday at that. I hope we can double this number in coming weeks and months! (I know, maybe not realistic but it would sure help.)

Thanks to everyone who has participated.