Edison Home 2/4 Conversion

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Edison Home 2/4 Conversion

Post by Jerry B. »

In this case, the kit was "new old stock" complete with original wraps, box, and instructions, something that is quite rare.
I agree. It is an unusual item. The dilemma is what do you do with it. Do you install it on your Edison Home? Do you save it for your dream machine, a mahogany Home? Do you place it on display in its carton?

Jerry B.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Hello once again, everybody. I just picked up an Edison Home today for a nice price, but it would only serve me well if it were a 2/4 minute machine, which it is currently not. Is it possible to modify the feedscrew mechanism with the proper adapters to permit variable operation?
Which model Home do you have?

Seller tnfinestuff on Ebay has several complete top section for different models for BIN of $150.00 plus shipping. She packs well and ships quickly

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=e ... 4&_sacat=0

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Which model Home do you have?

Seller tnfinestuff on Ebay has several complete top section for different models for BIN of $150.00 plus shipping. She packs well and ships quickly
Herman makes a very good suggestion.

The Model E top works is not the one you want because your machine in not a Model E. This is the one with no end gate.

Edison Home Model A top works - This is the one with the carriage tipped up and you can see a shaver. If your Home is a Model A with the speed control coming up through the metal deck, this is the one for you. All Model A Edison Homes have a slotted crank. Does yours?

Edison Home Model B top works - This top works has an end gate. The photo shows the carriage down. This will convert a two minute Home into a 2& 4 minute player. All Model Bs have threaded cranks. Does yours?

RollandVV-360, Does your Home have a slotted or threaded crank? That's the easiest way to determine your model. Model A = slotted crank. Model B = threaded crank. Simple.

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Roland, did any of the suggestions and posts help???

Jerry B.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

I have a complete 2/4 Home kit that is currently mounted on an Edison Home-A top works. End of mandrel is stamped H-B-I, which I suspect means that it will work on the Home B.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Apologies for the inactivity, folks. The suggestions and replies made in this forum topic were instrumental to guiding me to the correct parts. My home is a Model B, which I ordered, and now received, a 2/4 minute gearing set for. I am now only waiting on a belt from Wyatt Markus, and the mechanical work should be done. In the meantime, I have cleaned the motor and regreased it, only excluding the spring, which doesn't seem to have any hard grease spots that cause rumble-regreasing the spring will be a project for somewhere down the line. Anyways, I have also stripped the cabinet of its finish and the bedplate of its paint. And trust me, I don't refinish anything if it is any better than absolutely decrepit. The cabinet was falling apart with almost no finish left, and the bedplate was ridden with paint damage with none of the decals completely showing. I'll post some progress images below. I feel as though I'm in over my head with this one, but I'm sure it'll come out being worthwhile in the end. Also, Is there a proper alternative for japanning when considering paint for an Edison bedplate? Thanks guys!
Attachments
20210117_125546.jpg
20210117_125557.jpg
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Congratulations on making the decision; that's the hard part!

As for the refinishing of the bedplate, Rustoleum high temperature paint does a nice job repainting old enameled surfaces. Here's what it looked like on one of my projects.

You may wish to do a couple coats. I used satin Rustoleum and lacquered over this afterwards.
Attachments
On a desk
On a desk
Back view.
Back view.

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Progress report: I repaired the case and refinished it with the closest stain I had to the finish on photos of nice original machines that I could find. As well as that I painted the bedplate and endgate with Rustoleum. The cabinet still needs a clear layer over it and the painted parts are due for clearcoat. I polished all of the hardware before fitting them back to the cabinet, which proved a more time consuming task than I assumed because nearly every screwhole was stripped completely out. Now all that's due is the aforementioned tasks and laying the decals, which I am thinking of buying from phonodecal.com . Is this the best source for them?
Attachments
20210123_141212.jpg
20210123_141157.jpg
20210123_141651.jpg
20210123_141202.jpg
20210123_141640.jpg
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Beautiful workmanship! I love how the paintwork still has a few little ripples in it; Edisons always have those marks on them and though one could build a perfect Edison, it wouldn't be an original one.

You did great on that cabinet. Did you fill the grain? It will help a lot.

Yes, Phonodecal is the best place--those are Gregg Cline's, and not only does he seem to be a nice guy, but he also makes the finest graphics for restoring these old machines. A Cline decal adds value to a restoration--if I was in the market for new machines I'd be looking for those on them, not the others that look like the '80s replica decals. Properly applied they're very hard to tell from perfect originals.

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Alright, so I got it back together. I'll be ordering the decals soon, but I'll just wait to disassemble everything again to apply the decals and shoot another layer of finish until they come. In the meantime, I would love to get some music out of this machine, but I am under the impression that the spring is weak. The motor is perfectly strong enought to play a 2 minute cylinder, but when the clutch is pulled into 4 minute gearing and the feedscrew half-nut is engaged, the works all slow to a halt. The belt has plenty of slack, but does not slip, so I think it must not be that. All of the bearing points on the motor have been greased and all mandrel shaft bearings have been oiled as well. Does this come down to regreasing and/or replacing the spring?

I have included a "before" picture for reference. Notice the major rust patches plus the lack of paint and finish.
Attachments
20210124_135423.jpg
20210105_131939.jpg

-Roland