Help with ID - UPDATED

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

Help with ID - UPDATED

Post by stetam »

Ok, picked he up this morning. I must say I'm pleased. Soundbox gaskets were crumbling so replaced them and was unaware it had an black painted aluminum diaphragm. Will dive into cleaning and oiling/greasing later. Here's a short video.

https://youtu.be/toqVAg8Xq88

The cabinet, back bracket and tone arm will clean up nice. However someone started to sand the horn. Should I repaint it or leave it alone?
Attachments
PDII2893.JPG
4.jpg
4.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 964 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 964 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 964 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Last edited by stetam on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Help with ID

Post by Jerry B. »

The back bracket and tone arm look Zonophone.

Jerry B.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Well I paid $325 for it at auction so I guess I'll find out when I pick it up :?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I dug out a Zonophone catalog reprint that features Zonophones built after being acquired by Victor. Late Zonophones featured wood top boards like Victor. They shared a few parts like cranks, generally slotted, and crank escutcheons, as well as a sound box that is closely related to an Exhibition. The entry level machine in my catalog is the Zonophone Home for $20. I believe yours is a version of the Home. The horn is in a fixed forward position and yours appears to have that feature. The horn on your machine looks like an upgrade from the simple one in my catalog.

In my phono travels I have seen two versions on this model. One had a small pedal type horn and a Zonophone decal on the front. The other had a larger pedal horn but no decal. In one of George & Tim's wonderful books it suggests the unmarked ones were sold by mail order by Sears or other mail order stores.

I think you should be pleased with your purchase and change to a :D . You bought an interesting machine at the price of a Standard or Home project. You'll see hundreds of Standards before another Zonophone Home. :D

Jerry B.
Last edited by Jerry B. on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Thanks Jerry B for the help! I am happy with the purchase of a working example.

Stetam

stetam
Victor II

Re: Help with ID - UPDATED

Post by stetam »

Video at top