Excellent Packing

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Excellent Packing

Post by Jerry B. »

This photo shows the true test of top notch excellent packing. Several months ago I advertised and purchased a Victor IV project machine. I planned to pick it up when we visited Arizona but Covid got in the way so I had it mailed. The seller assured me it would be carefully packed. As proof he sent photos of him standing on top and on the side of the package. That is the ultimate test of quality packing. My photo shows me sitting with all my ample weight on the carton. I would have stood on the package but I didn't want my obituary to read: "Collector's fall from Victrola was fatal." :shock:

The seller started with a large carton and gave great effort and thought into his packing. He precisely cut solid insulation. The first piece was cut to exactly fit in the end of the carton. He planned on two inner compartments, one for the cabinet and the other for the heavy motor. Next four pieces of equal size were cut to form the first compartment and a piece cut like the very first one of exact fit. The second compartment was created like the first with another piece cut to fit exactly inside the top of the carton. So the cabinet with some parts carefully packed inside fit in one compartment. The other compartment was filled with the carefully packed motor and turntable. Any voids in the compartments were carefully and completely filled with packing.

Good communication between buyer and seller is very important. I needs to include the ability and willingness of the seller to provide good packing. We have a responsibility to care for the objects we love, and that includes specific suggestions for packing if we suspect the shipper is inexperienced. Never just hope for the best and cross your fingers.

Jerry B.
Attachments
6C6E91B8-6A8C-45BE-BE09-B88F921D1EF6.jpeg
Last edited by Jerry B. on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nat
Victor III

Re: Excellent Packing

Post by Nat »

When I receive something that has been really well and carefully packed, I always write a note to the shipper! Ant that includes the occasional shipment that takes half an hour tp unwind, unpack, untape... We've all had one: the shipment that reminds you of unwrapping King Tut. But the care is appreciated.