External Horn Machine Rarity?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

External Horn Machine Rarity?

Post by Herderz »

Do all you guys already have all the external horn machines in your collections? I have been looking for about 2 months now with no luck at all except Crap-o-phones. I am badly wanting to restore one for myself. :( still looking!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: External Horn Machine Rarity?

Post by Inigo »

I've never owned an external horn machine! No luck! Too expensive!
Inigo

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Hopefully at some point the phonograph shows will be able to start up again. You'll find more than you could ever imagine at those.

You may also want to consider getting into cylinder machines. Outside horn cylinder machines are generally more plentiful and less expensive than outside horn disc machines.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

I hear what you are saying Inigo. What makes it more rare for me is that I don't want one that somebody else has restored. No that would not work for me because that is why I want it.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Hey 52089, How can I be informed on these shows? Some kind of news letter or what? Sounds like where I need to go. You know you were right, in my blood a little bit now. I saw today a lot of 9 cabinet machines in various conditions for $500. I can see me bring home 9 at one time and it would probably go beyond that look.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Herderz wrote:Do all you guys already have all the external horn machines in your collections? I have been looking for about 2 months now with no luck at all except Crap-o-phones. I am badly wanting to restore one for myself. :( still looking!

I lucked out with my one and only External horn disc machine (I had been waiting for one to pop up for over a year). I was able to haggle pretty substantially because the previous owner had spray painted the nickle plated horn. I just checked facebook/craigslist every day waiting for something to pop up. Who knows.... maybe you'll get lucky too!

I agree with Kevin though. Outside horn cylinder machines are pretty easy to find on Facebook. There's also local flea markets, antique stores (although I think the prices are usually outrageous :lol: ), etc. Keep looking and you will find one ;)

Cheers,

David

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Herderz wrote:Hey 52089, How can I be informed on these shows? Some kind of news letter or what? Sounds like where I need to go. You know you were right, in my blood a little bit now. I saw today a lot of 9 cabinet machines in various conditions for $500. I can see me bring home 9 at one time and it would probably go beyond that look.
Right now everything in up in the air because of COVID, but if you Google "antique phonograph shows" you'll find some general information. The Antique Phonograph Society's site may have an event calendar. You can also search this board for similar info, photos of past shows, etc.

I personally attend the Wayne, NJ show, which is usually in April and October. The largest show is held near Chicago in June. It was previously known as the Union show, but AFAIK the new location is yet to be determined. There are also shows in California, North Carolina, and perhaps a few other places. Many of the people on this board travel around the country to go to these shows.

Almost all the shows in 2020 were canceled. I'm hoping for better things this year, but it may take months.
Last edited by 52089 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The Stanton auctions, in MI, are an excellent place to pick up an outside horn machine. Generally, prices are very reasonable and you can find any and all degrees of originality. An auction is planned for the middle of this month, on-site, on-line, phone bids & absentee bids.

Check it out... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47744

More info... http://www.stantons-auctions.com/auctio ... morephotos

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

52089 wrote: Right now everything in up in the air because of COVID, but if you Google "antique phonograph shows" you'll find some general information. The Antique Phonograph Society's site may have an even calendar.
There's an "Events" tab on the Home Page, with "Future Events" in the drop-down menu:

https://www.antiquephono.org/events_cat ... re-events/

There's also a calendar on the APS Forum:

https://forum.antiquephono.org/calendar/

George P.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I agree with the phono shows, once they happen again. I would advise against eBay because you cannot check a machine in person and have to rely on a seller knowing how to pack and ship safely. Another great option is the Yankee Trader section of this forum. First step would be to become realistic with price expectations. Waiting for a $150 open horn disc machine will take a point time if you find one at all. For double that you may have a chance for a Standard Talking Machine or similar, probably a front mount. Looking for a Victor or Columbia rear mount machine in complete original restore able condition will be a very long shot. Of course, there are always examples of this lucky find, they just never seem to find me.

Hope that helps
Andreas