Edison Idelia Models

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rgordon939
Victor V

Edison Idelia Models

Post by rgordon939 »

Is the Model F the last model of the Idelias? Also is there any production numbers available for the Idelia models especially the “F”?

Rich Gordon

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Edison Idelia Models

Post by Phono-Phan »

I have a late model E Idelia that has the red enamaled bedplate as described in the 1910 catalog. I am not sure if the F models had the same finish. I have never seen a model F Idelia.
Attachments
DSCN0450.JPG
DSCN0449.JPG
IMG_1183 - Copy.JPG

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Very Nice Machine Ken! That record storage looks like it needs more records...

Marc

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I love the Idelia... I would love to own one someday...

Beautiful machine! Congrats!

How long have you had it??!??

:)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I would like to know if there are any other Model-E Idelias out there sporting their original paint. The few that turned up in the 70's,80's and 90's were usually stripped of their paint and sent out to the platers to be done in an oxidized finish which at the time, was more desirable, collectibly speaking. Following the Opera thread, it would be fun to get a database on Idelias. My guesstimate is that there are between 75- 100 machines left out of the 200 or so that were made originally. My observation has been that they used the Triumph serial number lineage starting in the low 60,000's and going to the 80,000's as shown by Ken's machine

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Wow. I'm fascinated by the record cabinet. I am assuming that there is an interior drum that turns in order to expose specific cylinders. Is that correct? I've never seen one of these.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

MikeB wrote:Wow. I'm fascinated by the record cabinet. I am assuming that there is an interior drum that turns in order to expose specific cylinders. Is that correct? I've never seen one of these.
I really love this cylinder record cabinet. The internal carousel holds 140 records. A small crank on the side rotates the carousel. The Edison decal was added by someone before me. I am pretty sure this isn't an Edison product.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

edisonclassm wrote:I would like to know if there are any other Model-E Idelias out there sporting their original paint. The few that turned up in the 70's,80's and 90's were usually stripped of their paint and sent out to the platers to be done in an oxidized finish which at the time, was more desirable, collectibly speaking. Following the Opera thread, it would be fun to get a database on Idelias. My guesstimate is that there are between 75- 100 machines left out of the 200 or so that were made originally. My observation has been that they used the Triumph serial number lineage starting in the low 60,000's and going to the 80,000's as shown by Ken's machine
I have asked this same question to several veteran collectors and haven't heard of another still intact. I remember you saying that there were a few that were redone with the oxidized finish. I heard there was a model E Idelia in the Walt Bellm museum in the 80's. The original question in this post was referring to the model F Idelia. I would think that they would also have this red enameled finish. Terry Baer has compiled a database of Ideals and Idelias known. Hopefully he responds to this post with the data. I wouldn't post it without his permission.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

NEFaurora wrote:I love the Idelia... I would love to own one someday...

Beautiful machine! Congrats!

How long have you had it??!??

:)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
I have had this machine since 2015. Here is the link to my original post about finding it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23659&hilit=Idelia

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

edisonclassm wrote: Following the Opera thread, it would be fun to get a database on Idelias. My guesstimate is that there are between 75- 100 machines left out of the 200 or so that were made originally. My observation has been that they used the Triumph serial number lineage starting in the low 60,000's and going to the 80,000's as shown by Ken's machine
The Ideal/Idelia did indeed use the Triumph serial sequence. When I began my research on Triumphs back in 2012, a number of folks on this forum were helpful, and their contributions helped develop an article on the Spring Motor/Triumph that appeared in the December 2019 issue of The Antique Phonograph.

Terry Baer was kind enough to share his data with me, and between us we accumulated 15 Ideals/Idelias in the database. The earliest is an Ideal #64733, and the latest is Ken's Idelia #83483. There are currently no other Model Es in this database.

George P.