Questions about Stanton's from the uninitiated

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zenger
Victor I

Questions about Stanton's from the uninitiated

Post by Zenger »

I've never been to Stanton's, nor bid on anything at one of their auctions, but there are a few lots I'm considering this time around. All can be shipped to me if I win, but of course they're fragile, some very. Does anyone have any experience having anything shipped from them following an auction? If so, do they pack it in-house or take it to someone else? Do they do a good job of packing? Do they charge for packing, or just shipping? Do the charges seem reasonable, or extravagant?

Finally, is anyone from New England planning to go? I would much rather have these things transported by car than packed and shipped, and would be happy to work something out.

Thanks!

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Questions about Stanton's from the uninitiated

Post by AZ* »

Actually, many of your questions are answered on Stanton's website under auction terms:

"Shipping – Stanton’s Auctioneers does not provide packing and shipping services. We do have a list of recommended third party shippers to assist you in shipping to and from the auction. We have found that our clients have had very good relationship with Pak Mail located at 30 E. Columbia Avenue, Ste. F-1, Battle Creek, Michigan 49015. Their phone number is (269) 660-1985, Fax (269) 660-1987, Email – ship@pakmailbc.com, Website – http://www.pakmailbc.com. The contact persons at Pak Mail is David Smoot (owner), and Heather for information and quotes. Other shipping firms are available in the nearby and surrounding area to the sale site. All shipping costs will be charged to the buyer."
Best regards ... AZ*

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Keep in mind that this is Stanton’s first real venture into the on-line format and they are not set up for in-house packing and shipping.

That being said, be assured that nobody will look after your stuff and cooperate better than Steve Stanton. He is a paragon of integrity, and cooperation is his operative word.

This auction is being held under the duress of the COVID pandemic. I am sure there will be glitches. I hope everybody bidding will reciprocate Stanton with the same patience and cooperation he displays to us, year in and year out.

Raphael

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

I did see that before, but it's tough to bid when you have no idea how much packing and shipping are going to cost. I would feel much better if I knew Steve or someone else at Stanton's were doing the packing, but since they can't, and don't actually partner with anyone who does, they can't guarantee the quality of the packing job. If Stanton's were doing the packing themselves, I am sure they would issue full refunds for anything that arrived damaged, but who knows what Pak Mail etc. will and won't do in such an instance. I'm sure they will sell you shipping insurance, but as many of us have found out the hard way, shipping companies won't pay on claims if packages aren't packed to their very narrow specifications. If anyone has experience with them, I'd like to hear about it. Donley's always did their own packing (and they did it well), and could give you a quote before the auction.

So, again: Is anyone from New England going to Stanton's next week?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Zenger wrote: So, again: Is anyone from New England going to Stanton's next week?
You may get a better result by placing a "wanted" ad in our Yankee Trader scetion.

Hope this helps

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Zenger wrote:I did see that before, but it's tough to bid when you have no idea how much packing and shipping are going to cost. I would feel much better if I knew Steve or someone else at Stanton's were doing the packing, but since they can't, and don't actually partner with anyone who does, they can't guarantee the quality of the packing job. If Stanton's were doing the packing themselves, I am sure they would issue full refunds for anything that arrived damaged, but who knows what Pak Mail etc. will and won't do in such an instance. I'm sure they will sell you shipping insurance, but as many of us have found out the hard way, shipping companies won't pay on claims if packages aren't packed to their very narrow specifications. If anyone has experience with them, I'd like to hear about it. Donley's always did their own packing (and they did it well), and could give you a quote before the auction.

So, again: Is anyone from New England going to Stanton's next week?
One solution is to call PakMail and discuss with them. The stores are individually owned and managed, just like UPS Stores, Craters and Freighters, etc. and a lot depends on the individuals involved.

Raphael

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

gramophone78 wrote:
Zenger wrote: So, again: Is anyone from New England going to Stanton's next week?
You may get a better result by placing a "wanted" ad in our Yankee Trader scetion.

Hope this helps
Will do, thanks!